Pages

Thursday, November 5, 2009

About: The Blog and the Blog Author

Print  Friendly and PDF
Who am I?
In a word, a Certified-Foodloving-Flexitarian. But besides that, I was born to a hard working, dedicated, loving couple who eventually moved to the US in late 80s. Since then I have been shuttling back and forth between US and India before moving for good in mid 90s. My childhood and early-teens were in India and late-teens->youth->adult transformation happened in the US which makes me an AGCD(American Grown Clear-minded Desi). I am also a proud mom of a 5-year old boy who has taught me to be a little more patient, a lot more loving, a little less snappy and a lot less lazy. So it is really true when they say "Having a baby changes everything".

How did Cooking end up as a passion?
Even though I had helped my mom out now and then in the kitchen, I never really cared much for cooking until my early 20s.My dad and I were left to fend for ourselves when Mom went on an extended break to India.I had to learn everything from boiling water to making more elaborate spreads.What started off as a chore slowly grew on me and ended up as a passion. Inspiration and ideas for some of the vegetarian recipes come from mom(who calls herself an extreme Vegetarian and I was one too until ripe age of 17) and Meat-y ideas come from cook books,TV's culinary goddesses like Lidia Bastianich, Nigella Lawson, Ina Garten and a few others. Last but not the least, I get ideas from fellow bloggers.

Why a Cooking blog?
Even though cooking slightly falls behind Eating and Traveling in the Passion-meter, it is something that I (have-to)do frequently and I don't mind sharing. So far I have ended up posting 425+ Indian and International recipes(Hmm, mostly Indian) and it continues to grow.

Why the name 'Pan Gravy Kadai Curry'?
I like to think of me as a cultural melting pot with a blend of the Far East and the West.My cuisine mimics that attitude. So its only fair that I name my blog that represents both. PanGravy->West and KadaiCurry->Far East. Get it?

Why the nickname 'Cool Lassi(e)'?
Like how most writers have a pen-name, I thought I should have a blog-name. As for my real name/identity, I guess I don't have the interest to reveal it since I always look at the WWW as a double-edged sword. I like being mysterious. In that regard, I am in complete accord with Wandering Chopsticks, the mystery blogger.
Cool Lassi(e) is the name I came up with because I am a big fan of Cold (Mango) Lassi. To me, it is not just any drink, it is the drink.Why, some people even think of  Mango Lassi as "Drink of the Gods". While its is natural to perceive Cool Lassi(e) as Cool and a young girl, I am neither. In real life I am known as NVC. That doesn't tell much, does it? LoL.

Can you tell more about yourself?
While I have thought and come up with 108 things(Tell your more about my fixation for this number) about myself, I will say random 3 for now:
  • God's perfect mediocre being-- Neither this or that, perfectly blending with billion other folks
  • Believes in culinary therapy as much as retail therapy
  • Loves color red
Cheers
Me, Myself.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Time is the school in which we learn,Time is the fire in which we all burn  ~Delmore Schwartz
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Blog Widget by LinkWithin

1 comment:

  1. Dear Cool Lassie, reached here today through EC's blog. Very nice introduction to u and ur pan gravy and kadai dear. I really admire the speed at which you are able to post I must say I am a tortoise in front of you..just managed to post 89 recipes in the past 7 months.
    I am looking forward to a healthy friendship with a talented blogger like you.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks a bunch for your valuable comments and continued support.They are very much appreciated. Yes,like "Rain on Dry Land" and like "Oasis in Desert Sand".
XoXo, Cool Lassi(e)