True to its name, this is a dish with a savory stuffing and flaky crust on top. Traditionally pot pie will have a crusty bottom too but I have skipped it to cutback on a few calories.I have always wanted to make something similar to Boston Market's Pot Pie and this is my humble attempt. The taste does come close.
For the Stuffing:
- 4 Chicken Thighs, Cooked Moist and Tender ( I usually make use of the chicken thighs I used to make Basic Chicken stock)
- 1 Small Red Or Yellow Onion, fine diced
- 1 Medium Carrot, fine diced
- 2 Medium Yukon Gold Potatoes, boiled and cubed
- 1 Medium Red Potato, boiled and cubed
- 2 Stalk Celery, thinly sliced
- 1 Cup Fresh or Frozen Green Peas
- 1-1/2 Cups Skimmed Milk
- 2 Cups Basic Chicken Stock
- 1/4 Cup All-Purpose Flour
- A few grinds of Black Pepper
- 1 Tbsp Butter
- 2-3 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Tsp All-Spice Powder
- Salt as needed
For the Topping:
- Frozen Puff Pastry sheet - 1, thawed just 30-40 minutes prior to baking (to avoid it from clumping)
- In a saute pan, melt the butter and add oil to it.
- Add the onions, carrot and celery. Saute until the onions are browned.Add the carrots and saute for a couple of minutes.
- To this add the flour and fry.Follow-up with milk.The mixture will start to thicken. Whisk in the broth and stir to avoid any flour clumps.
- Note: I save the chicken and vegetables(Carrots + Potatoes) that I used to make the Basic Chicken Stock and use it in my Pot Pies. If using store-bought stock, boil the carrot and potatoes.
- Remove the skin from chicken, shred it and set aside.
- Add the cubed potatoes, all-spice powder and salt.
- Add the shredded chicken, ground pepper and stir to incorporate. Add more milk if needed.
- Divide the stuffing into 6 "7-ounce" ramekins.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Cut the puff pastry along the folds into 3 rectangular strips. Halve each rectangular strips. Roll out each sheet on a floured surface and stretch them to fit the ramekins. Glue the edges to the ramekins with little water. Put slits on the crust for the steam to vent.
- Place them on a baking sheet and stick it into the middle rack in the oven.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until the crust is brown and flaky.
- Let it rest for 10 minutes before digging in.
Make 6 Servings.