Kebab is traditionally a middle-eastern food but popular in Turkish,Central Asian, South Asian and some of the African cuisines, consisting of grilled or broiled meats threaded on skewers. For this recipe, I used the oven instead of a BBQ grill and substituted lamb and vegetables instead of beef and served it on a bed of Broccoli Lime Rice.
For the Kebab:
For the Kebab:
- Boneless Lamb - 1/2 pound, cut into 1 inch cubes
- Yellow squash - 1,small, cut into 11/2 inch thick discs
- Green Squash - 1, small, cut into 1 1/2 inch thick discs
- Button Mushrooms - 18-20 #s, small, cleaned
- Red Onion - 1, small, cut into big chunks
- Green Pepper - 1, cut into big chunks
- Wooden Skewers - 6
- Garlic - 3 cloves, grated
- Ginger - 1 inch, grated
- Mint - 3 stalks, stalk removed and diced (optional)
- Lime - 1, juiced
- Black Pepper - 1 tsp or more, cracked
- Turmeric Powder - 1/4 tsp
- Tikka Seekh Kabab BBQ Mix - 1 - 11/2 tbsp ( I used "Shan" Brand from Indian Store)
- Salt - A dash , for taste
- Olive Oil - 4 tbsp (2tbsp for marination and 2 tbsp for basting)
- Short grained rice - 1 cup
- Lime - 2, juiced
- Onion - 1, small, diced
- Broccoli - 1, small head, cleaned and cut
- Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
- Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Split Black Gram - 1 tsp
- Olive oil - 1tbsp
- Cilantro - For Garnish
- In a glass bowl, mix the ginger, garlic, lime juice, mint, salt, pepper, turmeric powder, BBQ mix, 2 tbsp oil.
- Check for taste and throw in the vegetable and lamb.
- Marinate for at least 2 hours(overnight marination is preferred).
- Soak the wooden skewers in water for 30minutes - 1 hour to avoid burning in the oven.
- Cook the rice as per package directions and cool.
- In a deep saute pan, heat oil, add the mustard seeds and black gram. Once the seeds begin to splutter, add the onions and brown it.
- Add the rice and give a gentle mix.
- In a cup, mix the juice of a Lime with turmeric powder and salt. Pour that into the pan and mix gently for a minute. Switch off the stove. Garnish with chopped Cilantro.
- Preheat the oven to 475 degrees F.
- Line a 11inch X 9 inch pan with aluminum foil.
- String the vegetable and lamb alternatively with little space in-between and baste them with oil.
- Sit the skewers on the rim of the pan so that the juice and fat is collected in the pan.
- Place the pan on the lower grill of the oven for 25-30minutes. Baste with oil once or twice during this time.
- Remove from the oven when the tips of the lamb begins to get charred.
- Serve on a bed of Lime Rice.