This burger is out of the world. Believe me, it is. I have no other words to express its wholesome goodness. It was love at first bite for me. I usually make this with just the chickpea, oats and eggs but I experimented with oat bran in place of eggs this time and it was such a hit in the house. Note: The burger is Vegan but the fixing(s) are not.
- Quick Oats - 1 cup
- Unprocessed Oat Bran - 1 cup
- Chick Pea - 15 ounces, canned or freshly cooked
- Carrot - 1 , shredded
- Garlic - 5 Cloves, minced
- Red Onion - 1, small, diced
- Salt - for taste
- Cracked Pepper - 1 - 1 1/2tsp
- Cilantro - finely chopped
- Olive oil - 4 tbsp
- Choice of Bread or Rolls
- Mixed Greens
- Fixings - Choice of Ketchup, Pickles, Dijon Mustard, Cheese singles, Avocado etc etc
- With very little water cook the oatmeal on a stove top or microwave so it isn't soggy but cooked and plumped.
- In a bowl, smash the chickpeas coarsely. To it add the salt, pepper, cut onions, minced garlic, oat bran and mix gently with hands.
- Add the cooked oatmeal to the mixture and knead gently to form a coarse dough.
- Divide the mixture to 10 even balls and form patties. The dough shouldn't unravel. If it does, add more oat bran and form the patties.
- In a skillet, heat the olive oil and cook the patties in batches 3-4 minutes per side on a medium flame.
- Patties can be consumed just as is or in burger buns.