Pages

Monday, November 1, 2010

Stuffed Shallow Fried Okra And a Winged Dinosaur

Print  Friendly and PDF
So how was everyone's Halloween Weekend? Mine was hectic, no surprise there. I got into the Halloween spirit 2 weeks prior to Halloween. Yeah,a couple of weeks ago I had gone to a very popular Jack O'Lantern festival with my folks @ Sleepy Hollow in Historic Hudson Valley Area in NY. Then last weekend I took my son to a Halloween Masquerade along with a close friend of mine.My son was dressed as Vampire LeStat, my buddy's son as a Ghoul and me a modern "Witch of Eastwick". Why modern? Cause I wanted to be in an attire that would permit me to run after my son without tripping. Perhaps next year I would dress up as "Queen of the damned". :). Thanks to my buddy, my son got an opportunity to pick a nice-ish pumpkin from a big Pumpkin Patch at the Masquerade venue after we drank apple cider. I have yet to decide on what to bake with it. This past weekend though, I wanted to take it easy. So I was at home watching spooky movie after spooky movie that I am jumpy like a nervous kitten dreading paranormal activity in my house. Its going to take a while for me to get over this feeling.Now enough of my rambling and onto to the recipe.. 
This week be prepared to get Stuffed. Its seven days of stuffed delicacies for you lovelies. You all know I am a big fan of Stuffed dishes,right?
But before that, A picture from Blaze @ Sleepy Hollow- A winged Dinosaur "Pumpkin Carving". Awesome, Isn't it? Hats off to whoever did it.
Ingredients:
  • 15#s Okra/Ladies Finger
  • 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
For the Filling:
  • 4 Tbsp Finely Chopped Onion
  • 4 Tbsp Fresh or Frozen Coconut Scrapings
  • 2 Dry Red Chili
  • 2 Stalks Curry Leaves
  • 2 Tbsp White Sesame Seeds
  • 2 Tbsp Roasted Split Chickpeas "Daliya"
  • 2 Tbsp Split Chickpeas "Chana Dal"
  • 1 Tbsp Coriander Seeds
  • 1/4 Tsp Turmeric Powder
  • Salt for taste
Procedure:
  • Wash the Okra and dry it thoroughly on a paper lined plate.
  • In a skillet, heat a tbsp of Olive Oil and saute the Split Chickpea. When it turns slightly brown, add Coriander Seeds, Sesame Seeds, Chopped Onions, Dry Red Chili, Curry leaves and fry till the onion is browned.
  • Add the Coconut scrapings and roasted split chick pea. Saute for a couple of minutes and switch off the stove.Sprinkle some salt and stir.
  • Cool the mixture and grind it with no/very-less water so the filling is sticky but not soggy.
  • Slit the Okra and make a pocket without cutting through.
  • Stuff a tsp of the mixture into the Okra and repeat for all the Okras.
  • Heat the remaining Tbsp of Oil in the pan and add the stuffed Okras. Fry them gently in the oil and cook them with sprinkling a little water.
  • Add the leftover mixture and sprinkle some more water and continue cooking till the Okras are soft and the filling mixture coats the Okra.
Enjoy!
Blog Widget by LinkWithin

22 comments:

  1. wow!!...a look at the stuffed okras...has left me drooling...now I am waiting for ur fried okra!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okra is my favourite veggie and I loved this stuffed okra recipe. Yumm!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The pumpkin carving is brilliant...I love stuffed orka, just that im a lil lazy to do all that job :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I must admit, okras put me off.
    But must say, I do not know enough about it.
    Yours looks yummy ♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have never seen okra look this good. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Which is good? Pic or the recipe..Hard to choose- madam u win..

    ReplyDelete
  7. CL, I love bhindi, and this version of stuffed okra is totally new to me. It looks delish and i'm tempted to try it right now (I'll have to wait till the next trip to Patel's though! LOL!)

    That winged dinosaur is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. great carving.. love the stuffed okras too..

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have such a hard time in keeping the mixture inside the okra. Yours looks fine.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You made the humble okras look gorgeous. Lovely clicks.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love anything with okra and this certainly looks tempting dear...

    Deepa
    Hamaree Rasoi

    ReplyDelete
  12. J'ai déjà mangé des gambos en sauce mais jamais farcis.
    Je note ta recette.
    See soon.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am drooling over that stuffed okras Lassie, fabulous...

    ReplyDelete
  14. @Srimathi: Probably its the moisture from Coconut and Onion. It doesn't come out at all. I never had any problem with it before.:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. @Smitha: You have a longg wait dear. I will be posting it in a month's time, i think. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Craved pumpkin looks stunning no less stuff okra looks amazing :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have never tried this recipe with this masala; very tempting!

    ReplyDelete
  18. this type of okra fry is very tempting... i wil try it for my hubby

    ReplyDelete

Thanks a bunch for your valuable comments and continued support.They are very much appreciated. Yes,like "Rain on Dry Land" and like "Oasis in Desert Sand".
XoXo, Cool Lassi(e)