Pages

Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Blueberry Coffee Cake With Streusel Topping

Print  Friendly and PDF
This is yet another recipe I have tried from DK's Chef In You. I made this egg-less cake for "Navrathiri Nights" get together at a friend's place and everyone gave me a double thumbs-up for this moist dense cake. The original recipe called for Sour Cream but substituted with thick Yogurt. And, I made my own Streusel topping for the cake. I only had a bite, so I will take my friend's word that everyone at the get together enjoyed it very much.
Sending this to Tried and Tasted event hosted at Priya's
Ingredients:
For the Cake:
  • 2 Cups All Purpose Flour
  • 1/2 Cup(1 Stick) Unsalted Butter, melted
  • 3/4 Cup Granulated Sugar (Add 1/4 Cup more if you like your cakes really sweet)
  • 1/2 Cup Homemade Applesauce
  • 1 Tsp each Baking Soda and Baking Powder
  • 1 Tsp Vanilla Extract
  • 1 Cup Thick Yogurt
  • 1 Cup Fresh or Unthawed Frozen Blueberries
  • A pinch of Salt
For the Streusel Topping:
  • 1/3 Cup Toasted Walnuts, roughly broken
  • 3 Tbsp Butter
  • 3 Tbsp All Purpose Flour
  • 2 Tbsp Craisins(dried Cranberries)
  • 2 Tbsp Brown Sugar
Procedure:
  • Sift all the dry ingredients together.
  • Beat the butter, sugar, applesauce and yogurt together.Add the Vanilla extract.
  • Mix the dry ingredients with the wet ingredients in batches. 
  • Fold the unthawed blueberries and transfer the batter to a greased and prepared 9" round cake pan.
  • Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
  • Combine the ingredients for the streusel and sprinkle/spread it on the top of the cake batter with a silicone spatula.
  • Bake for 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes clean.
  • Cool the cake completely prior to cutting.
Enjoy with a cup of coffee or tea.
Blog Widget by LinkWithin

30 comments:

  1. கேக் மிக அருமையாக இருக்கு...

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks fabulous Lassie...Perfect lighting for the photographs..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yogurt in a cake batter...sound interesting...and yumicious..

    Had a question? what does it take to be invited in a get-together which serves coffee cake :)

    thanks for posting :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. yum, the nuts and berries makes it all the more tempting :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. beautiful CL..love to have that with my cold coffee...sorry I am not a hot coffee person!...But I would love to munch on that beauty anytime!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh yum! I love blueberry coffee cake. Yours looks wonderful, especially with the streusel topping:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey,

    That looks amazing...:)

    Dr.Sameena@

    http://www.myeasytocookrecipes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely texture and flavorful cake. Like the streusel topping on it, makes it look very nutty and crunchy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow... awesome cake... love the Streusel Topping!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very inviting cake, any leftovers there, am coming there rite now..lolz..thanks for sending to T&T dear..

    ReplyDelete
  11. The cake looks delightfully tasty and superbly baked.

    Deepa
    Hamaree Rasoi

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love Streusel Topping, cake looks super soft yum!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fabulous and delicious.
    What else can one ask for ? ♥

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love anything with streusel! This look fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I can tell just from looking that the texture of that is PERFECT. What I would have given to be there eating it...

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lovely dear..thanks for sharing esp since Baking is my weakness :)

    Cheers,
    Reshmi
    www.rookieqookie.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. umm looks absolutely delicious..love the topping.

    ReplyDelete
  18. That does look like a winning dessert. I would love me some now. The day we begin getting blueberries here, this is what I'm gonna make!

    ReplyDelete
  19. what a stunner.... totally yummy.... would love to taste it....

    what a pity we don't get blueberries here.....

    Cheers,
    The Variable, Crazy Over Desserts - Nachiketa
    Catch me on facebook @ Crazy Over Desserts

    ReplyDelete
  20. I forget how much I like struesel toppings so thanks for reminding me and a good idea to use on a large cake - quite unusual, a lovely compliment to the soft blueberries.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks a bunch for your valuable comments and continued support.They are very much appreciated. Yes,like "Rain on Dry Land" and like "Oasis in Desert Sand".
XoXo, Cool Lassi(e)