Pages

Sunday, November 14, 2010

String Hoppers

Print  Friendly and PDF
"String Hoppers" has me by the string(s). I would certainly want this as one of dish in my "last meal".This is a very popular breakfast dish in South India and also in Srilanka. Its called as "Idiyappam" or "Sevai" where I hail from. Its easily digestible since its steamed and good for the very young, young and the old alike.People who are curious and eager to taste this will have to make it at home cause this is not something you will find in a restaurant menu. Well that seems to be the case where I live atleast. Making String hoppers is not rocket science but a bit strenuous.Still I am making this frequently cause MIL is around to help.
"String Hopper Flour" is nothing but steamed rice flour.To make it from scratch involves the following - Rice gets soaked for 4-5 hrs and then dried partially so they are moist but not dripping with water. Then they are ground to powder form after which they are steamed for god knows how long. Then they are sifted and stored in an air-tight container for about 6 months. **Phew**. Ready-made flour is easily available in Indian stores for which I have to thank my lucky stars.
Ingredients:
  • 4 and 3/8th of a Cups(1.1 lbs/500g)  String Hopper Flour(I used "Anil" Brand)
  • 1-3/4 to 2 Cups Hot Water
  • 1/4 Tsp, Salt
  • Oil for Greasing 
Tool:
  • Idiyappam Press or Vermicelli Press (I used authentic wooden Idiyappam press that has 2 parts. Bottom part has a cavity to stuff the flour and the top part is a press that pushes down on the flour to make noodles)
    Procedure:
    • Add the flour and salt to a heat resistant pan.
    • Add 1-3/4 cups of hot water to the flour and quickly mix it with the "wooden handle" of a wooden spoon until the dough gets lumpy.Hands cannot handle the heat at this point.
    • Close the pan with a lid and let the dough rest for 2-3 minutes.
    • Grease the palm with little oil and knead the dough to a smooth consistency.
    • Take a lemon-sized dough and shape it into oblongs.(Lid the pan to keep the remaining dough moist. Its tough to make noodles with dry dough. You get the idea?)
    • Grease the cavity of the mold with little oil and press the dough inside.
    • Press the top part of the mold into the cavity and give gentle pressure.
    • Start making noodles like the ones in the picture.
    • Steam the noodle cakes for 10 minutes.
    Yields ~30-35 Noodle Cakes

    Enjoy!
    Blog Widget by LinkWithin

    28 comments:

    1. Oh my, i am craving for idiyapom now, looking at u r pics lasssie...This is so damn tempting ...

      ReplyDelete
    2. Amazing!! yes i do agree it is one of the meal that makes the list to the last meal.

      soft fluffy and so light!!

      Is this similar to Shavgey made from press?

      in the next few days will be looking for string hopper flour!! I have used rice flour to make this...by double steaming it....first while making the dough then after the dough is made steaming it again, then using the press...so a back breaking job...but an awesome result...but !! nothing like how u have made it with the flour...Thanks!! will keep you posted on how it goes :)

      ReplyDelete
    3. Hey, I have the same brand sitting in my freezer. Will make it sometime soon. I love sevai. Looks very simple to prepare.

      ReplyDelete
    4. I'm so intrigued! Never heard of this before but it looks tasty!

      ReplyDelete
    5. One of my favorite breakfast. Nowadays I have it for evening dinner sometimes. Love it with sweetened coconut milk. Your's is making me hungry.

      ReplyDelete
    6. It looks so tempting and perfect...Amma used to make like this...But i never tried it...

      ReplyDelete
    7. I had nvr heard of this wonderful dish before .. in fact I havn't seen it on any S indian restaurant menu here in Delhi too . Truly looks so yummy ...

      ReplyDelete
    8. Hey,

      String hoppers...wow..Never thought of this...love idiappam..:)

      Dr.Sameena@

      http://www.myeasytocookrecipes.blogspot.com

      ReplyDelete
    9. love this but man its hard to squeeze through the holes he he

      ReplyDelete
    10. WOW!! Idiyappams look perfect! Great step pictures..

      ReplyDelete
    11. this is new to me.what seeing the pic it looks so tempting

      ReplyDelete
    12. Very inviting last click, love idiyappams with sugar and coconut milk,my all time fav..

      ReplyDelete
    13. Looks so perfect and delicious.. lovely snaps !!

      ReplyDelete
    14. Hi Cool
      Iddiappam looks very well made. Each and every fiber looks to be distinct.

      Deepa
      Hamaree Rasoi

      ReplyDelete
    15. I never Had these...Looking at them...I want to eat them now...they look wonderful CL...Gotto try them out!

      ReplyDelete
    16. am drooling over here CL almost to cry ...miss eating it so much love love love! They look stunning :)

      ReplyDelete
    17. I am wondering if you received my earlier comment. I would better repeat :)

      Now I have some serious craving for hot idiyappam and chicken curry.. Slurpp

      ReplyDelete
    18. wow, that is a lot of successful work, love the outcome :)

      ReplyDelete
    19. That looks really tasty. Too bad it is not available in stores.

      ReplyDelete
    20. woowww. i love it with vege kurma.. yummy.. guessing if it was an easy job squeezing it ... i miss idiyappam.. have never tried to make it here thinking abt the effort hehehehe ;-)

      ReplyDelete
    21. Hey, you have tempted me enough :)

      I think the murukku press I have doesn't have small holes as in the idiyappam press..

      ReplyDelete
    22. Hey, wonderful blog post. My son is pretty much interested in this dish. where can you buy the wooden Idiyappam Press. Pls let me know. thanks!

      ReplyDelete
    23. @Anu: My MIL gave it to me and she bought it in an Indian store in Chennai. I don't know where you live but you can check any Indian store if they have it available. If you can't get an authentic "idiyappam maker", a "chakri/murukku maker" should do the trick.

      Hope it helps!

      ReplyDelete

    Thanks a bunch for your valuable comments and continued support.They are very much appreciated. Yes,like "Rain on Dry Land" and like "Oasis in Desert Sand".
    XoXo, Cool Lassi(e)