Pages

Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Basics: Homemade Applesauce

Print  Friendly and PDF
I have never attempted to make homemade applesauce until 3 years ago.Why bother doing it from scratch when they have them bottled and stocked ready for us in the supermarkets. It all started when I started the process of weaning my son when he was about 4 months old when I wanted to make everything from scratch. Ever since then there has been no turning back. I so love the versatility of this sauce that can be a snack for adults and babies alike, an excellent side for roast pork or duck and how well it acts as a substitute for eggs in most of the dessert bakes. And its a cinch to make.I always make them in small batches and they keep well for a couple of weeks in the refrigerator. Sometimes I freeze them and freezing doesn't affect the taste.For a creamy version of applesauce like the one in the picture, apples will have to be peeled.
Creamy Applesauce redolent of cinnamon:
I used a combo of Autumn Gala and Cameo that I picked earlier for making this batch of applesauce.
Cameo:
Autumn Gala "Dwarf" Apple Tree. Now this is where I want to camp out and keep attacking those apples until the tree is devoid of apples-
Ingredients(For smoother Applesauce):
  • 1 medium Gala Apple
  • 4 large Cameo Apples
  • 1 cinnamon stick
  • 1/2 cup water
Procedure:
  • Clean and Core the apples.
  • Peel and cut them into chunks.
  • Add them to a pan along with the cinnamon stick and 1/2 cup of water.
  • Bring to a boil for 15-20 minutes until they apples are cooked.
  • Discard the cinnamon stick and either use a food mill or blender to make a creamy sauce.
Yields ~2 Cups of Sweet Cinnamony Applesauce
    Note:
    • 1/2 cup of sugar may be added if the applesauce is slightly tart.
    • Applesauce keeps well in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
    Enjoy!
    Blog Widget by LinkWithin

    24 comments:

    1. I am never attempted to make apple sauce on my own. But looks very simple and easy to make...mayb should try when I have lots at home!!

      ReplyDelete
    2. Me too never dared to make apple sauce at home..Looks easy...

      ReplyDelete
    3. Hi,

      That looks simple and delicious...No home grown apples in india!!:)Should buy and make..:0

      Dr.Sameena@

      www.myeasytocookrecipes.blogspot.com

      ReplyDelete
    4. Apple sauce looks so yummy. Easy to prepare as well. My son would surely like it.


      Deepa
      Hamaree Rasoi

      ReplyDelete
    5. Can you believe that I was searching for a home made apple sauce recipe today.. Looks easy...

      ReplyDelete
    6. I am bookmarking this .. i usually buy store bought one's. But when everytime I buy I used to think to make at home but some how lazy. Sure I will do this at home once by bottle is finished.

      ReplyDelete
    7. This looks so creamy n perfect..I had absolutely no idea that it was so easy to prepare..Great pics!!

      ReplyDelete
    8. That is so YUM! Awesomely prepared & captured too..... I loved those cored apples especially..... :)

      Ash...
      (http://asha-oceanichope.blogspot.com/)

      ReplyDelete
    9. An absolutely delish sauce, love ur choice of apples and the color is lovely too, buttery and pure!

      ReplyDelete
    10. The jar stuff doesn't compare to homemade.

      ReplyDelete
    11. i dont think il ever make my own, but im tempted to see how it works as a substitute for egg

      ReplyDelete
    12. Even i love applesauce, fabulous looking applesauce CL..

      ReplyDelete
    13. This is really interesting...have to give it a try for sure.

      ReplyDelete
    14. so true that it works as a great substitute for eggs.Used to make it for my daughter when she was a baby.

      ReplyDelete
    15. I always love having apple sauce at home. I love to eat them for a snack. Its nice to see how it is made.

      ReplyDelete
    16. j'adore les pommes et cette préparation parfumée est parfaite pour mes papilles
      bonne soirée

      ReplyDelete
    17. Appreciate your efforts on making home made apple sauce CL.It looks gorgeous .

      http://sanscurryhouse.blogspot.com

      ReplyDelete
    18. I love the apple colours. I doubt if I can get the needed apples for making the sauce for I ma sure my fruit vendor has not heard of these names. I will try them out on the ones available . Keeping my fingers crossed when i go to the market.
      Hosting an event which I am calling Back to our Roots Also hosting for Nov’11 Veggie Food for the Month_Raw Banana. Please do send me your entries.

      ReplyDelete
    19. I made this sauce dear and only with gala apples. used it to bake in a competition. Love teh cake. Posting it tomorrow. I have linked the apple sauce to you. Hope it is okay.

      ReplyDelete
    20. Thanks to you I made this sauce and used it in a cake. Kids loved it. Thanks.

      ReplyDelete

    Thanks a bunch for your valuable comments and continued support.They are very much appreciated. Yes,like "Rain on Dry Land" and like "Oasis in Desert Sand".
    XoXo, Cool Lassi(e)