Pages

Thursday, October 7, 2010

Fruit Kesari

Print  Friendly and PDF
According to my MIL --> Kesari is a dish that should make a beeline to the pit of the belly the minute someone puts it into their mouth.Roughly translated, it should be made with plenty of Ghee(Clarified Butter) and sugar that it practically melts in one's mouth. Well, I am thinking the calories will follow suit.To the pit of the belly, that is.On occasions when I make it, its like a dam just broke.Me and hubby fight for the lion's share. Ergo, I don't make it often. In Indian households, this is made during festive/auspicious days,served to "prospective" groom and his family when he comes to the bride's house for a visit or whenever one feels like treating themselves to a lip smacking dessert. Cause it super easy to make and super delicious in taste. :).
For avid Kesari lovers like me here is a couple of other options - Kross-Bred Kesari(Part Chocolate And Part Strawberry), Persimmon Kesari. Enjoy!
Ingredients:
  • 1 Cup Sooji/Suji/Ravai(= A kind of Semolina, made out of Granulated Durum Wheat)
  • 2/3 Cup + 2 Tbsp Ghee(Clarified Butter)
  • 1 1/2 Cup Sugar
  • 3 Cup Hot Water
  • 1 Cup Milk
  • A pinch of Yellow Food Color
  • 1/4 Tsp Cardamom Powder
  • 1 Cup mixed fruits(Pineapple, Apple, Grapes, Strawberry)
  • Choice of fresh fruits for Garnish (optional)
Procedure:
  • In a small skillet, warm 2 tbsp of Ghee and fry the fruits for a couple of minutes. Keep aside.
  • In a thick bottomed pan, warm 2/3 cups of Ghee.
  • Add the Sooji and fry it in the Ghee till its slightly brown.
  • Add the hot water to the Sooji and cook it on a medium flame.
  • Dissolve the food coloring in a cup of milk and add it to the pan. Continue to cook. Sooji will start to thicken.
  • Add the sugar, cardamom powder and keep stirring till it re-thickens.
  • Stir in the fruits and switch off stove.
  • Serve warm or at room temperature with a cup of tea or coffee.
Enjoy!
    Makes 4-5 small-portioned servings.
    Blog Widget by LinkWithin

    27 comments:

    1. Gorgeous looking kesari. Never added fresh fruits in it. Looks super good Lassie.

      ReplyDelete
    2. WOW - this is such a gorgeous dessert. I almost wouldn't want to eat it if I had it in front of me.

      ReplyDelete
    3. Love kesari...this is the one i made on my first day @ inlaws kitchen after being maaried.(secret -to amuse my hubby as its his fav dessert).sweet sweet memories..and nowadays my toddler fav too....looks divine with all those colorful fruits ....inviting inviting dish from u lassie..wonderful colors white platter,yellow kesari and cute red berry in the center...

      ReplyDelete
    4. its a feast to my eyes!...looks beautiful and delish!

      ReplyDelete
    5. fruits in kesari is new to me, but looks incredibly delicious and yellow is a stunning color...

      ReplyDelete
    6. I am not looking at it..I am also not looking at the recipe..not at the ghee too....no more temptations pls...trying to concentrate to shed few extra pounds dear...

      ReplyDelete
    7. I'd be perfectly happy with this sinking to the pit of my belly. Or sticking to my thighs. Yum.

      ReplyDelete
    8. This looks fantastic! I have never seen it before but would love to try it. So pretty too:)

      ReplyDelete
    9. Oh this fruit kesari looks divine, mouth-droolingggg!!

      ReplyDelete
    10. such a creative and photogenic desert! Love it!

      ReplyDelete
    11. ha ha...I had this just now...made for the 1st day for navratri...looks really yummy

      ReplyDelete
    12. Real feast for kesari lovers, very beautiful looking kesari..

      ReplyDelete
    13. Lassie Hope u r doing great nice click and looks colorful dear

      ReplyDelete
    14. Wow! What a great dessert! Love the color and bet it is delicious with a cup of coffee!

      ReplyDelete
    15. Looks so colorful and delicious kesari!!

      ReplyDelete
    16. I have never seen anything like it, really adored the looks, the colours and the ingredients.
      Great one ♥

      ReplyDelete
    17. @Pam: Yes it is! And tastes divine with a cup of coffee!

      ReplyDelete
    18. @Ana: You will be amazed at how good it tastes. Its the ghee and sugar.

      ReplyDelete
    19. @Eliana -- Lol, neither would I. But only for a bit..then I would pounce on it.

      ReplyDelete
    20. Looks yummy and lovely.
      http://epicureansdelight.blogspot.com
      Drizzle in my au gratin is chocolate syrup.

      ReplyDelete
    21. Kasari is my all time quick dessert, infact that was first Indian dessert i ever learnt, they look so cute :)

      ReplyDelete

    Thanks a bunch for your valuable comments and continued support.They are very much appreciated. Yes,like "Rain on Dry Land" and like "Oasis in Desert Sand".
    XoXo, Cool Lassi(e)