Pages

Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Fiery Tomato Chutney

Print  Friendly and PDF
This is yet another recipe from MIL. Did I not tell you that I am going to learn new dishes from her? Well, not just new dishes but old ones with her special twist. This chutney goes oh-so-well with so many dishes and does double duty as a dip for pita and chips.Usually I have this with Yogurt Sevai(Rice Noodles in Yogurt Sauce), Lime Rice, Savory Ball Pancakes. This time though  I had this with Methi Roti( Fenugreek Flat Bread). Umm delicious.
Sending this and Four Seasons chutneys-Peanut(Winter),Pumpkin And Carrot(Fall), Cilantro N Mint(Spring), Tomato Chutney my Way(Summer) , Ridge Gourd Peel N SweetPea Chutney, Homemade Chutney Powder(Idli Podi) to Jagruti's Complete My Thali - Chutney event.
Ingredients:
  • 1 medium Onion, roughly chopped
  • 5 ripe Roma Tomatoes, roughly chopped
  • 1/2 tsp Ginger/Garlic paste
  • 1 stalk Curry Leaves
  • 2 tbsp Cilantro, finely chopped
  • 2 dry Red Chili (3, if you want to feel the burn)
  • Salt for taste
  • 3 tbsp Olive Oil
  • 1/2 tsp Mustard Seeds
Procedure:
  • Coarsely grind chopped onion,tomatoes along with curry leaves,red chilies and cilantro.
  • Heat the Olive oil in a thick,deep bottomed pan and add the mustard seeds. Once the seeds start to sputter, add the ginger/garlic paste.Fry till it loses raw smell.
  • Pour the ground mixture into the pan.Add salt.
  • Here comes the difficult part -- Simmer the mixture on a low-medium flame, stirring frequently until it loses all the moisture and the oil separates.Takes about ~20-30 minutes.But really depends on how much watery it is to begin with.

  • Cool and serve as an accompaniment to Yogurt Sevai(Rice Noodles in Yogurt Sauce), Lime Rice, Savory Ball Pancakes, Roti or as a dip.

Enjoy!
Blog Widget by LinkWithin

26 comments:

  1. wow..spicy chutney..love the pics ! thanks for the entry...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Firey hot tomato chutney looks very tempting Lassie...

    ReplyDelete
  3. that fiery bit is making me want some right away...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lassie, that looks yummo!

    There's a giveaway happening over at my blog, please stop by and participate! Thanks,

    GB@Of peacocks and Paisleys

    http://gb73.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice fiery chutney, all i need is a plate of dosas to taste this yummy chutney.:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That sure looks fantastic. I wish I am having some with our Indian night!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very nice looking chutney. I think I will stay with 2 chillies.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope my future mother in law is as good a source of recipes as yours is! This sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Another delicious recipe from your MIL...very hot and spicy...
    Deepa
    Hamaree Rasoi

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love recipes from moms and moms-in-law, how wonderful is that? I would love this recipe, but I know my husband wouldn't take the heat. I always have to adjust! Keep them coming! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi,

    Firey tomato chutney indeed!!

    Stop by my blog!!:)

    Dr.Sameena@

    www.myeasytocookrecipes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Am in for the fiery chutney..mmmm if its spicy, its definitely finger-licking good.

    Aaha Oho

    ReplyDelete
  13. mmmmmm..my type off chutney...fiery.......wow CL.seems ur mil is a wonderful cook...lipsmacking chutney and love the array of different chutneys u hv on ur space....yummy yum

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nice click.Looks spicy & too tempting.


    Madhura Manoj@

    http://www.easycookingforamateurs.com/

    ReplyDelete
  15. A different style of chutney. I always have a hesitation towards grinding raw onion for chutney thinking of the strong smell it would give to the chutney. Now that you have given your MIL's special I will try it out..

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love garlicky hot tomato chutney and this version looks great.

    Congratulations for successful blogging and for the first birthday...

    ReplyDelete
  17. Nothng beats a good chutney and this one looks to die for!!! Love all the amazing flavors in it.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love the addition of olive oil in chutny ..spicy :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks a bunch for your valuable comments and continued support.They are very much appreciated. Yes,like "Rain on Dry Land" and like "Oasis in Desert Sand".
XoXo, Cool Lassi(e)