Pages

Thursday, October 21, 2010

Channa Masala & few photos of Common Wealth Games

Print  Friendly and PDF
Cutting carbs is a big no-no as it makes me extremely cranky that I am constantly wanting to kick someone's behind.In an Indian(and in almost all Asian) household a meal isn't really a meal without carbohydrates. While its flat-breads up north its white rice down south.Whether it be bread or rice, a gravy curry as an accompaniment is a must. Since I(We) eat carbs on a daily basis, I have to come up with variety of tongue-tickling gravy-based dishes almost everyday. And I have to say that over the years I have tried at-least a hundred dozen dishes. Most were hits and a few were bloopers but that doesn't stop me from experimenting. But a few, a selective few, gets made again and again and this is one of those.Don't be put-off by that fiery shade of red..its mostly from the tomatoes. ;)
I want to thank Mr.Ghosh of  "Cooking and Recipes" for sharing a few pictures of the Common Wealth Games 2010 that was held in Delhi beginning of this month. Be sure to check out his latest lip-smacking recipe Rashmi Mutton Biryani with plenty of pictures and instructions. He also gives a Vegetarian option for the same. Boy, that post certainly makes me hungry.
Here are some pictures of the opening ceremony. Click on the picture to see it in Original size --
Now onto the recipe-
Ingredients:
  • 3 1/2 Cups(Or 2 Cans,19 OZ each) Cooked Chickpea
  • 3-4 Roma Tomatoes, roughly chopped
  • 1 Medium Red Onion, roughly chopped
  • 1 inch Ginger, peeled and roughly chopped
  • 4 Dry Red Chili (For less heat use 2)
  • 4 Cloves Garlic
  • 2 Stalk Curry Leaves
  • 1 Tsp Whole Black Pepper
  • 1 Tsp Cumin Seeds
  • 1 Tbsp Garam Masala
  • 3 Tbsp Olive Oil
  • 1 Tbsp Butter or Ghee(Clarified Butter)
  • 1/4 Cup Reduced Fat(2%) Milk
  • Salt for taste
Procedure:
  • Heat 2 tbsp of oil in a pan and add garlic cloves, onion, red chili, black pepper and curry leaves.
  • Saute till the onions are well browned. Add Ginger and saute for a couple of minutes.
  • Throw in the chopped tomatoes and cook for 10-15 minutes.
  • Cool the mixture and grind to a smooth paste with salt and water.
  • In the same pan, heat the remaining tbsp of oil and fry the cumin seeds.
  • Add the cooked chickpea, ground paste and garam masala.
  • Check for salt and add more if needed. Cook for 10 minutes until the gravy thickens.
  • Add milk and allow the gravy to re-thicken.
  • Switch off stove and add the butter/Ghee and stir gently.
  • Serve hot with Rice or Roti.
Enjoy!
Blog Widget by LinkWithin

26 comments:

  1. Chana Masala is my all time fav, and urs looks yummyyy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The channa masala looks yummy and the picture are wonderful!! Thanx for sharing them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great recipes and beautiful photos! We eat a starch at every meal too, I think mostly it because that's what my mom served us when we were growing up. I love coming up with new ways to serve them! Love the post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am ready have some of tat chana masala with pooris...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chana Masala looks so delicious. Can have it any time during the day. Also the Commonwealth Ceremony Pics look great.


    Deepa
    Hamaree Rasoi

    ReplyDelete
  6. love Channa masala and I bet it would have been fun to have been in India and watch the ceremony

    ReplyDelete
  7. great recipe, my kids will love this, must make for them one day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have an addiction to carbs in the most terrible way. Chana masala is probably my favorite Indian dish...well I like them all.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like your blog.
    Nice recipes of Andhra Special in in our site just click on.

    Chicken Recipes

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the chana masala made here...pics are great...the commonwealth photos are very well captured.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Our all time favourite channa masala looks super delicious, wonderful CWG clicks..

    ReplyDelete
  12. oh first time i am seeing inclusion of milk in the channa masala recipe ... and sure that seems to suit my taste ... love it .. love the cwg pictures as well ..

    ReplyDelete
  13. I made them recently and urs def looks much more appetising

    ReplyDelete
  14. I could never give up carbs. I love bread and pasta too much. Your recipe sounds so good with all of the wonderful spices you use.

    Beautiful photos:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Chana masala looks yumm. One of my favourite :-)

    Thanks for sharing those great pictures :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Dear Lassie
    Thank you so much for mentioning the Biriyani recipe and all the recommendations for the dish ..I feel good and honored.
    By the way the Game photos are not mine,,it just came floated through mails from many places.
    The recipe is very different from the one I cook. I take note that you have used Curry leaves and milk . I must try this soon).
    Have a nice weekend
    ushnishda

    ReplyDelete
  17. Channa Masala...my fav!! looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Delicious dish.
    Loved the Delhi photos, wow awesome colours and clothing ♥

    ReplyDelete
  19. Une recette pleine de saveurs.
    j'aime beaucoup.
    See soon

    ReplyDelete
  20. de magnifiques photos et une recette bien appétissante difficile d'y résister
    bonne journée

    ReplyDelete
  21. gorgeous pic and channa masala are always hit!

    ReplyDelete
  22. wonderful photos and a great recipe too!

    ReplyDelete
  23. It looks absolutely yummy. Love it with pooris and bhaturas..

    ReplyDelete

Thanks a bunch for your valuable comments and continued support.They are very much appreciated. Yes,like "Rain on Dry Land" and like "Oasis in Desert Sand".
XoXo, Cool Lassi(e)