BM#11:I love Okra! But I hate the slime that oozes from it when cut. So this is how I prep the Okra before I use it to make anything with it.
The main mantra to removing/reducing slime from okra is only one thing - "Dry, Dry, Dry". A dry Okra considerably has less slime. So I make sure that my cut Okra is super dry before it is transformed into a dish. :-)
- Clean the Okra in cold water.
- Drain it in a colander to drain excess water from it for about 15 minutes or so.
- Transfer the moist Okra to a clean and dry kitchen towel.Rub it gently and remove the remaining moisture.
- Move it to a dry plate and let it air dry.
- Snip off the ends and cut them to desired length. I usually cut them about an inch long. "Dry fry" the cut Okra for about 5 minutes on a low flame.
- Okra is now ready to be used in either a curry or gumbo or whatever with considerably less/no slime.How cool is that??