Pages

Friday, December 23, 2011

How To Remove Slime/Stickiness From Okra

Print  Friendly and PDF

BM#11:I love Okra! But I hate the slime that oozes from it when cut. So this is how I prep the Okra before I use it to make anything with it.

The main mantra to removing/reducing slime from okra is only one thing - "Dry, Dry, Dry". A dry Okra considerably has less slime.  So I make sure that my cut Okra is super dry before it is transformed  into a dish. :-)
Procedure:
  • Clean the Okra in cold water.
  • Drain it in a colander to drain excess water from it for about 15 minutes or so.
  • Transfer the moist Okra to a clean and dry kitchen towel.Rub it gently and remove the remaining moisture.
  • Move it to a dry plate and let it air dry.
  • Snip off the ends and cut them to desired length. I usually cut them about an inch long. "Dry fry" the cut Okra for about 5 minutes on a low flame.
  • Okra is now ready to be used in either a curry or gumbo or whatever with considerably less/no slime.How cool is that??
Stuffed Okra Curry:
Enjoy!!
Blog Widget by LinkWithin

13 comments:

  1. I do everything until the drying-on-the-cloth part. I'm going to dry-fry it next time, sounds like a good tip, thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. indeed cool, i know a lot of people who abhor okra bcoz they find it sticky and slimy. I personally love it and also follow the same steps as you have done, some times leave them overnight under a kitchen towel

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful CL..I make it the same way..great to have you run the BM

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks for the info. I also dont like the sticky okras.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have always been a little bit afraid of preparing okra...maybe this will help me overcome that fear.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just bought from okra from Indian store. Will chant your mantra for okra perfectness.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks a bunch for your valuable comments and continued support.They are very much appreciated. Yes,like "Rain on Dry Land" and like "Oasis in Desert Sand".
XoXo, Cool Lassi(e)