If there is a dish that comes close to defining/representing who I am, its got to be this one. A bittersweet "curried" patty ensconced in an acceptably all-right "burger". Hmm, what does that mean? A person who is almost always sweet yet laced with an iota of bitterness who also happens to be a melting pot of bi-cultural principles and outlook. That is what. These mini-burgers, also called as "sliders" are easy to make and fun to eat. The inspiration to make sliders comes from being a fan of a burger joint in NYC called POP Burger that caters dot-sized burgers.FYI, bitter gourd/bitter melon is not for everyone. It is certainly an acquired taste that many "fail to acquire". True to its name its bitter(the bitterness mellows when fried) but hey its very good for diabetics and everyone else in general.Don't like the idea? Well, patties can also be made with 1.ChickPea, Oat N Oat bran, 2.Barley and ChickPea, 3.Beet,RedBean and SweetPea.
- Bitter Gourd/Bitter Melon - 4, small, Pitted and fine diced
- Pinto Beans - 2 cans, 15.5 ounces each, drained and smashed
- Onion - 1, small, diced
- Carrot - 1, small, fine diced
- Raisins - a handful
- Curry Powder - 1/2 tsp
- Pepper - 1/2 tsp, cracked
- Salt for taste
- Tomato - 1, sliced
- Avocado - 1/2, sliced
- Olive Oil - 4 tbsp
- Mini-Burger buns - 12 or make your buns using multi-grain bread and cookie-cutters
- In a wide skillet, add 2 tbsp of oil and fry the diced gourd with little cracked pepper until it is browned.Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a bowl, add the roughly smashed beans, diced onions, pepper, salt, curry powder, carrot and cooled gourd.
- Mix gently and shape into 12 even-sized patties.
- Heat the remaining oil in the pan and cook the patties 3-4 minutes per side on a low flame.
- Assemble them on buns with tomato or avocado slices on top and enjoy!
- The patties are soft and delicate since no binder like egg was used. Care should be taken to not crumble when flipping them to cook.
- Broccoli-Rabe,Mushroom and Turkey pasta
- Collard and Cottage Cheese stuffed mushrooms
- Cocoa and Beet Muffins