Pages

Monday, March 1, 2010

Puff Pastry Pillows

Print  Friendly and PDF
If I was a poet, I would write an ode to Frozen Puff Pastry..It would start with something like this- "How many ways I love to bake thee, let me count the ways.." Not very original but very apt, no?Aren't frozen Puff Pastry one of the great culinary invention ever? They come very handy to make an endless list of Appetizers, Dessert and what not. This time I decided to make Puff Pastry Pillows/Tex-Mex Pillows. Filling can be all-veg or veg-meat combo.Your choice.Scroll down for the yummy-licious recipe for both choices!
Ingredients:
  • Puff pastry Sheet - 1, thawed 25-30 minutes prior to rolling out
  • Black Bean - 1/4 cup, cooked(I used canned beans)
  • Roasted Peppers - 1/4 cup, fine diced
  • Green Peas - 1/4 cup 
  • Onions - 1/2, small, fine diced 
  • Garlic, 2, cloves, minced
  • Cheddar Cheese Singles - 1, diced
  • Cracked Pepper - 1/2 tsp or more
  • Salt for taste
  • Olive Oil - 2 tbsp
  • Choice of Meat or Vegetarian Ingredient
For the Meat Filling:
  • Ground Chicken or Turkey - 1/4 cup( I used Turkey for this recipe)
For the Vegetarian Filling:
  • Shredded Carrot - 1/4 cup
For Egg Wash: Optional
  • Egg white - 1
Procedure:
  • In a skillet, heat 2tbsp of oil and add minced garlic, onions. Saute until the onion is browned.
  • Add Choice of ground turkey or shredded carrot to the skillet, black bean, roasted peppers,green peas, cracked pepper and salt. Lid the pan and cook for 5 minutes until the mixture is cooked but dry.
  • Switch off the stove and add the diced cheese cubes. Stir gently and set aside.
  • Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
  • Dust a large work surface with flour and roll out the thawed puff pastry gently. Cut them into 3 strips along the folds.
  • Halve each strips into further into 4 rectangles. That should result into 12 rectangles.
  • Spoon the filling on 6 rectangles leaving an inch of border all around. Wet the edges and place a rectangle-puff pastry sheet on top of them.
  • Seal the edges with a fork to make 6 pillows. 
  • Transfer the pillows carefully to a greased cookie sheet.Poke the top of the pillows with a knife-tip to make a small vent.
  • Optional Step: Give an egg wash to the top of each pillows.
  • Bake for ~25 minutes until they are browned and serve warm.
Makes 6 puff pastry pillows

Enjoy!
Blog Widget by LinkWithin

36 comments:

  1. Very nice and looks yummy.I am also planning to make veg puff.Since my hubby not in station so have postponed the plan.I ll bookmark this page.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those look really delicious and addictive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pastries are looking yummy!!! They look so comforting with some hot sauce mmm I will finish the entire plate!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Truly Puff pastry are so versatile.. i is on eof my fav too.. These pillows are looking so tempting..

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  5. i loooove puff pastry too! i always have one in the freezer, it's so versatile and easy to prepare, not to mention you can really up the wow factor with almost no work. awesome!
    ps: your music - bond, i think it was, reminded me of vanessa mae. it's been so long since i've listened to it... have to look up the old cd case.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loved ur filling, prefect pillows for evening snacks..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Puff pastry very versatile I make these often.
    Nice recipe.
    an ode to your puff pastry.:)
    Puff pastry do you know how much I love thee?
    Many dishes I make from you can you see??
    Crispy and crunchy you grace any dish
    A cooks delight nothing more they can wish!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thats so cute Dear...really a tempting treat...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Lassie
    What do you mean by " If I were a poet!!!!" you are already a great poet...i,e imaginations and u have that ...just write one food blog in poetry form..and you will make it..:-)
    Jokes apart , very nice recipe..I dont know from where to get the pastry sheets in India...But I do remember making these sheets in late 1978 just to please some one ( rather to show off). It used to take solid 48 hrs to make a 256 fold pastry base...
    The lady who taught me , is long dead, but in her memory I am going to roll a pastry base and stuff it with your filling recipe....book marking this one as a reminder.
    have a nice week
    ushnishda
    ( what is -da version in tamil?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love them too. And I can see that you have a good number of recipes with puffpastry, already :-)This looks so delish...

    ReplyDelete
  11. @Bo: Very addictive is how I would put it too. I never get tired of making this!

    ReplyDelete
  12. @Dana: I love all classical and new-age fusion music cause sometimes I don't care for lyrical notes. I haven't had the opportunity to listen to Vanessa Mae but looks like she is a noted violinist! Will have to listen to her music in youtube.

    ReplyDelete
  13. @Ushnish-da
    When I call you with a "da" at the end its with highest respect and regards. But sadly in tamil it doesn't translate that way. Its disrespectful to call someone "da" ..esp if they are elders! I am sorry that your Pastry guru is long gone. Atleast you have something that reminds of her. So go and make those pastry sheet!

    ReplyDelete
  14. @simply.food : Man, you must have a poetic streak. Look at you..you made up an ode just like that. I am amazed. You rock, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  15. whoa, pastry pillow looks incredible. I'm hungry and wish I had some right now.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I agree with you puff pastry sheets are indeed a boon :) Until recently I never knew that they can be made so easily if readymade sheets are available, have been using them since then...love the filling you have used here...it looks absolutely delicious :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Looks tempting..but I need to replace with veggies :).. I have never bought these sheets to make puffs at home..next time I am gonna buy :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. heh heh, ode to the puff pastry.. sounds perfect to me! i love phyllo dough in its place but yeah, they sure are life savers. love your feeling here, yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I gasped when I saw the pictures! Yummm!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. WOW!ur golden pillows luk beyond delicious!
    gr8 click too!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Pastries are looking yummy..and u hve a lovely blog.iam following u...

    ReplyDelete
  22. I totally agree with you.Puff pastry is the best culinary inventions ever!!Can create wonders with it in minutes.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Enjoyed ur poem on puff pastries :):)Absolutely loved ur version of the pastry and truly innovative.

    Chitchat
    http://chitchatcrossroads.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hey these puffed pastry looks so cute, loved the filling! I would love to have this with a cup of tea:)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi
    thanx for visiting me and leaving such a wonderful comment!! ya we both posted similar recpes!! your puffs looks so delicious and tasty!! I posting today sweet version...

    cheers

    ReplyDelete
  26. Gosh, it's so tempting! I'm drooling over! Can U pass me some...:D

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  27. LOved the first line of ur Ode to puff pastry :)...
    The pillows looks awesome...loved the filling too

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love them too!!! I like both your versions veg & non veg, I can eat them anyways :) lovely recipes!!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Wow, that looks beutiful, cheese filled puff pastry...count me in:) Happy Holi:)

    ReplyDelete
  30. wow, I love the filling..too good and the pastry looks so yummy..delicious..cant get enough of the pic :P

    ReplyDelete
  31. frozen Puff Pastry is really the best invention ever! love these pillows!!

    ReplyDelete
  32. wow very yummy puff pastry sheets...looks yummy

    ReplyDelete

Thanks a bunch for your valuable comments and continued support.They are very much appreciated. Yes,like "Rain on Dry Land" and like "Oasis in Desert Sand".
XoXo, Cool Lassi(e)