If I was a poet, I would write an ode to Frozen Puff Pastry..It would start with something like this- "How many ways I love to bake thee, let me count the ways.." Not very original but very apt, no?Aren't frozen Puff Pastry one of the great culinary invention ever? They come very handy to make an endless list of Appetizers, Dessert and what not. This time I decided to make Puff Pastry Pillows/Tex-Mex Pillows. Filling can be all-veg or veg-meat combo.Your choice.Scroll down for the yummy-licious recipe for both choices!
- Puff pastry Sheet - 1, thawed 25-30 minutes prior to rolling out
- Black Bean - 1/4 cup, cooked(I used canned beans)
- Roasted Peppers - 1/4 cup, fine diced
- Green Peas - 1/4 cup
- Onions - 1/2, small, fine diced
- Garlic, 2, cloves, minced
- Cheddar Cheese Singles - 1, diced
- Cracked Pepper - 1/2 tsp or more
- Salt for taste
- Olive Oil - 2 tbsp
- Choice of Meat or Vegetarian Ingredient
- Ground Chicken or Turkey - 1/4 cup( I used Turkey for this recipe)
- Shredded Carrot - 1/4 cup
- Egg white - 1
- In a skillet, heat 2tbsp of oil and add minced garlic, onions. Saute until the onion is browned.
- Add Choice of ground turkey or shredded carrot to the skillet, black bean, roasted peppers,green peas, cracked pepper and salt. Lid the pan and cook for 5 minutes until the mixture is cooked but dry.
- Switch off the stove and add the diced cheese cubes. Stir gently and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Dust a large work surface with flour and roll out the thawed puff pastry gently. Cut them into 3 strips along the folds.
- Halve each strips into further into 4 rectangles. That should result into 12 rectangles.
- Spoon the filling on 6 rectangles leaving an inch of border all around. Wet the edges and place a rectangle-puff pastry sheet on top of them.
- Seal the edges with a fork to make 6 pillows.
- Transfer the pillows carefully to a greased cookie sheet.Poke the top of the pillows with a knife-tip to make a small vent.
- Optional Step: Give an egg wash to the top of each pillows.
- Bake for ~25 minutes until they are browned and serve warm.