Well, this is for all the vegetarians who wonder what an authentic Ragu tastes like..what I mean is that this comes close enough. So what went into the making of this Meatless version? Those "Dhal" Fritters that I had made and posted about a couple of days ago.Yeah,the Fennel,spices and the Split Chickpea makes the Dhal Fritters a convincing stand-in for the "ground meat portion" of the Ragu.
- Whole Wheat Spaghetti - For 2 people
- Dhal Fritters - 6 #s, Crumbled(Recipe here)
- Kidney beans - 1/4 cup, cooked or canned
- Onion - 1/2, large, chopped
- Garlic - 3-4, small cloves, minced
- Tomato Basil n Garlic Sauce(Pasta Sauce) - 1 cup, Homemade or Store-bought
- Dry Red Wine(I used Sebastiani "Sonoma Country" Merlot) - 1/4 cup (Water can be substituted)
- Cracked Pepper and Salt - for taste
- Olive Oil - 2 tbsp
- In a skillet, heat the oil and add garlic and onion. Saute until onions are browned.
- Add the crumbled dhal fritters and the sauce.
- Bring it to a boil and just when its thickening add the red wine and let it simmer.
- Enjoy with Pasta.