Stuffed mushrooms are a frequent occurrence in the menu. Since I love anything stuffed, I make this often but never get tired of eating it simply cause I alternate between a long-list of stuffing choices.This stuffing is one among the top contenders. Try it and you will love it. This is making its way to the "Global Kadai" event held at Sumi's Kitchen.
- Button Mushrooms - 12#s, wiped clean with wet tea-towels
- Crumbled Cottage Cheese/Paneer - 1 cup (If using Indian Cottage cheese,cube and shallow fry first and crumble after cooling)
- Onion - 1,small, roughly chopped
- Garlic - 2 cloves, minced
- Frozen Collard Greens - , Thawed, completely drained of water
- Cracked Pepper - 1/2 tsp
- Olive Oil - 3 tbsp
- Gently dislodge the stumps from the mushroom and set aside.
- Using the melon baller hollow the mushroom caps.
- Fine dice the stump and onion in the food processor . Set aside.
- In a shallow pan, heat 2 tbsp of oil and add minced garlic, diced onion-stump mixture.
- Saute till the onion is browned.Add the crumbled cheese, collards and gently mix.
- Sprinkle the salt and pepper. Mix until the mixture is evenly incorporated.
- Cool the mixture and stuff the hollowed mushroom caps.
- Drizzle the filled caps with remaining olive oil.
- Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F.
- Bake the stuffed caps for 20-25 minutes on the middle rack depending on the level of preferred crispiness.
- Let the mushrooms rest for 5-10 minutes. Serve.
- Spinach may be substituted for collard greens.