I often make this when I crave for something chocolate-y and have no patience to go through the pains of making a decadent dessert. This is a no-nonsense bread pudding that can be made in a jiffy.Banana puree can be used as a binder ingredient instead of egg to make it completely vegetarian.
- Cinnamon-raisin Bread or Any sweet bread - 4 slices
- Low-fat milk - 1 1/2 cups
- Sugar - 2 tbsp
- Egg - 1 , beaten (or) Banana - 1/2, pureed
- Butter - 2 tbsp
- Semi-sweet chocolate - 2 ounces( about 1/4 cup)
- Vanilla extract - 1/2 tsp
- Tear the slices of bread and set aside.
- In a bowl, mix the milk, sugar, beaten egg and vanilla extract using a whisk.
- In another bowl, melt the butter and chocolate. Add this to the above bowl.
- Pour the entire milk mixture over the bread making sure all the pieces are coated.
- Refrigerate for an hour.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease a square baking pan(8 X 8) with butter. Move the mixture to the pan.
- Bake on the top rack for 20-25 minutes or until set.
- Cut into squares or heart and serve immediately.
- Mixture may puff during baking and deflate after cooling.
- Banana Puree can be used Instead of eggs.