Pages

Thursday, February 18, 2010

Rice Hoppers(Appam)/Spongy Rice Pancakes and some awards

Print  Friendly and PDF
Seriously, this is in my Top5 favorite Breakfast/Brunch choice of all time. Who can resist these soft, spongy Hoppers? No Sireee! Not me for sure. These Hoppers or Spongy Rice Pancakes are quite popular and largely prevalent in South Indian households. I love to have this with sweetened coconut milk and tomato chutney. What about you? If you haven't had this before, you don't know what you are missing. Just head over to a South Indian restaurant for a taste of heaven. The texture is similar to that of Ethiopian Injera. Yum!
Ingredients:
  • Raw Rice - 2 cups, soaked for 4 hours
  • Cooked Rice - a handful
  • Grated Coconut - a handful
  • Dry Yeast - 1/2 tsp
  • Sugar - 1/2 tsp
  • Warm water
For the Coconut Milk:
  • Grated coconut from 1 mature coconut
  • Warm water or Skimmed Milk - 2 cups
  • Sugar - 2 tbsp
Tool:
  • Wok, preferably non-stick
Procedure:
  • Wash and grind the raw rice, grated coconut and cooked rice to a smooth paste with very less water.
  • In a bowl, add 2 tbsp of warm water and add the sugar and yeast.
  • Add this yeast mixture to the ground paste and let it ferment overnight.
  • Prepare the batter to a pour-able consistency(Batter should be thicker than crepe-batter).
  • Pour a ladle-full of batter to the wok and swirl it so that the batter coats the side of the pan and the center is spongy. 
  • Close the lid and let it cook for 2-3 minutes on a medium flame.Repeat the same with the remaining batter.
  • Extract "thick" coconut milk by squeezing batches of grated coconut through cheesecloth.
  • Extract "thin" coconut milk by letting the squeezed coconut soak in warm water or milk and squeezing them again through the cheesecloth.Sweeten the coconut milk with sugar.
  • Serve hot hoppers with spicy tomato chutney or sweet coconut milk.
Enjoy!

Now its time to acknowledge the awards:
AshKuku of http://asha-oceanichope.blogspot.com  and Cicily of http://ceciliantonio.blogspot.com have shared these wonderful awards with me. I thank you both from the bottom of my heart. You girls rock!
 
This last award, passed to me by Cicily comes with a set of demands:
The rules for accepting this award are 
  • Thank the person who gave you the award.
  • Copy the award to your blog.
  • Place a link to their blog.
  • Name 7 things people don't know about you.
  • Nominate 7 bloggers.
  • Place a link to those bloggers.
  • Place a comment letting those bloggers know about the award.
I have been tagged before by Saju of The Novice Kitchen.  To know more about me click here.
The point of giving awards, besides appreciation is to know and be known by other bloggers who share the same passion,right? So I would like to share this award with bloggers who I just have come to  know and have come to like what they post
Blog Widget by LinkWithin

22 comments:

  1. Even i cant resist to this delicious appams, tempting clicks..congrats on ur awards..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for the awards. You have a wonderful space here too :). Love appam with stem. Nice pic and recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Lassie
    Recently one Keralite resturant has opened in our locality in Noida..the appam is so expensive ..I am sending this recipe to someone who loves it.She can make it or has to wait for me
    Congratulation for the awards

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just love them...missing home...congrats on ur awards...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow Appams are my fav, Maa makes a coconut stew (karam and sweet) with this... Love how soft they look... Oh I miss this so much!!!

    Thanks for dropping by... Shall come by regularly!!! Congrats on your awards and thanks again for the award!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello dear,
    First of all my hearty congratulations on all your awards and thanks a lot for considering and sharing with me.

    I went through your posts. I should really appreciate you on the way you describe the steps of the recipe, the presentation and the beautiful clicks.

    I loved ur Masala mushrooms and cheesy crescents, i had book marked them too....

    Very glad to follow u, Keep going dear:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. congratulations for the awards dear!!!

    aappams are one of my favourite breakfast dish too, I too prefer with sweetened coconut milk, mmmm, looks good with the tomato chutney too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, this tops my favorites :-)Just had this yesterday, but am drooling now :D
    Congrats on your awards !

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats on ur awards..appam looks mouthwatering...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, appam looks so very delicious and is sure one of my favorite breakfasts too (on the side of filter coffee ofcourse :)). Congrats on the awards and thanks so much for passing one over to me. You have a great space here, I am following it now.

    ReplyDelete
  11. congrats on all ur awards.keep rocking.Your appam looks lovely and tempting and yummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmy

    ReplyDelete
  12. hi dear,

    thx a ton for visiting my blog and for this beautiful awards!!..so sweet of you, dear!..do keep in touch..u ve a beautiful space with all delicious recipes!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congrats on ur awards...Appam looks yummy...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Kudos to you on all your appreciations.... which u very well deserve for all those yummy looking delicacies u post...... I loved this plate above.. It had everything I loved.. the chutney looks so amazing...its beautiful color & the perfect dosa to go with it....

    Ash....
    (http://asha-oceanichope.blogspot.com/)

    ReplyDelete
  15. *Oops I said dosas...... Appams sorry!!!!! Hamka maafi daido..... Please!!!! ;-)

    Ash....
    (http://asha-oceanichope.blogspot.com/)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Appam is one of favs as well.. Congrats on your awards and thanks for sharing with me!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh am loving this recipe ,ands congrats on ur wonderful awards!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Congrats for the awards, appam looks so soft and lovely photo, this is my favorite too....

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a delicious presentation. With coconut milk the best combination.

    I have been tasked with making this dish and I am going to try it from scratch. I bought a packed of palappam podi and forgot to add the yeast and you know what happened next.

    ReplyDelete
  20. yummy and awesome presentation...congrats on all ur awards, dear!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hey, I am going to have appam today at my Mom's place :) Congrats on your awards and thanks for visiting my blog and for your lovely award..

    ReplyDelete
  22. Congrats on such a wonderful space.Do drop by at
    http://anjuskitchentreasures.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Thanks a bunch for your valuable comments and continued support.They are very much appreciated. Yes,like "Rain on Dry Land" and like "Oasis in Desert Sand".
XoXo, Cool Lassi(e)