This is a recipe that I borrowed from Sailaja's kitchen. Sailaja can be called as a "culinary scientist" because she is constantly experimenting with food. Her blog is a hub of novel recipes and I love visiting her spot.She was generous enough to let me try out this recipe of hers.For the life of me I couldn't have figured it for what it is if I didn't know behorehand that it was made with grapefruit.Tasted as good as Lemon/Lime rice and it would go well with Lamb/Chicken Kebabs or any spicy sides.
- Basmati rice - 2 cup
- Red Grapefruit - 1, juiced
- Onion - 1, small, diced
- Cashews and peanuts - a handful
- Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
- Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Split Black Gram - 1 tsp
- Olive oil - 2 tbsp
- Cilantro - For Garnish
- Cook the rice as per package directions and cool.
- Brown the nuts in a tablespoon of oil.Set aside.
- In a deep saute pan, heat oil, add the mustard seeds and black gram. Once the seeds begin to splutter, add the onions and brown it.
- Add the rice and give a gentle mix.
- In a cup, mix the juice of grapefruit with turmeric powder and salt. Pour that into the pan and mix gently for a minute. Switch off the stove. Garnish with chopped Cilantro, browned nuts.