Pages

Sunday, January 31, 2010

Baghare Baingan -- Teeny-Tiny Stuffed Eggplants

Print  Friendly and PDF
Baghare Baingan, also known as 'Ennai Kathirikaai' or 'Gutti Vankaya'  is one of my hubby's favorite dish and obviously mine.He grew up eating this quite frequently. I curried favors with my MIL, who is telugu, to get the secret recipe. She is quite forthcoming but I feel hesitant to ask recipes for just about every dish she makes. She is a real queen of her kitchen.Some folks are born with that kind of talent and she is one the fortunate few. I modified the original recipe a bit and ended up with this extremely pleasing,delectable bit of deliciousness. Eat this as an appetizer or as a side to Rice/Roti/Bread.

Ingredients:
  • Eggplants - 14 #s, small, quartered without dislodging and with crown intact 
  • Red Onions - 3, medium, chopped
  • Red Chilli - 2
  • Green Chilli - 2
  • Curry Leaves - 4 Stalks
  • Fennel Seeds - 1/2 tsp
  • Cumin Powder - 1 tsp
  • Turmeric powder - 1/8 tsp
  • Asafoetida (Hing) - 1/8 tsp
  • Sesame Seeds - 4 tbsp, toasted
  • Peanuts - 5 tbsp, toasted and dehulled
  • Dessicated Coconut - 3 tbsp
  • Tamarind - Marble-sized
  • Salt for taste
  • Olive oil - 5 tbsp
Procedure:
  • In a thick-bottomed skillet, heat a tbsp of oil and fry the onions, red chilli, green chilli, asafoetida and curry leaves.
  • In a blender, grind the toasted peanuts, toasted sesame seeds to a fine powder.
  • Add all the other ingredients including salt to the jar and grind to a coarse thick paste with water.
  • Stuff the eggplants generously with this mixture.
  • Add the remaning 4 tbsp of oil to the pan and drop the stuffed eggplants.
  • Cook on a low flame with sprinkling little water now and then and lid closed.Resist the urge to keep turning the eggplants.
  • Continue cooking until the eggplants are soft and the gravy is thickened to the point of getting dry.
  • Serve hot by itself or as a side to rice/roti/bread.
Tip: Reserve 1 or 2 chillies while grinding the paste. Check for taste and add more if necessary.

Also sending the following recipes to  "Served with Love" event:
Enjoy!
Blog Widget by LinkWithin

15 comments:

  1. Thanx for visiting my blog and for being my 200th follower..Bhagare baigan looks so yummm,i had tried this once watching vahchef's video,looks too good...

    ReplyDelete
  2. My my!! How those lovely stuffed Eggplants are tempting me!! I can never try these at home, coz DH would never dare to touch it... May be some day....

    ReplyDelete
  3. hehehe...So you have posted your version too..:D Looks really yumm and this dry version will be a great starter...

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow...luks yummy..i love this...eggplant is my all time fav..thanks for the recipe dear!

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow looks very tempting... will definitely give it a try...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for stopping by my blog. Guthi vankaya looks drool worthy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The pic of all the ingredients used in stuffing are so tempting & persuading one to try it too... I have never tried anything with stuffing... I think it is high time I tried...some at least... I know it tastes yummy & pleasing.... I will...

    Ash....
    (http://asha-oceanichope.blogspot.com/)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ennai Kathirikaai looks delicious dear! I've heard that telugu people excel this dish !! love the sesame smell in this dish, Mmmmmm, simply heavenly!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. mmm...one of my favourite!!!! looks really tempting:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Baghara baingan is such a delicious curry...that is simply inevitable from my menu. Spicy, juicy and perfect medley of heat.:) Lovely presentation.:)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks a bunch for your valuable comments and continued support.They are very much appreciated. Yes,like "Rain on Dry Land" and like "Oasis in Desert Sand".
XoXo, Cool Lassi(e)