Pages

Monday, June 20, 2011

Sloppy Joe With Ground Turkey, Black Bean, Dill Pickle and Hot Cherry Peppers

Print  Friendly and PDF
Hello Peeps, how are you?I am doing okay, thank you! Sorry for going "AWOL" on you. I have been extremely busy dealing with other issues in my life..So had to put my blog/blogging in the back burner for a bit. But no worries, I am back and I plan to avoid going away for long periods of time. Has it really been 3+ weeks since I did my last post? Hmm, time does fly real quick, doesn't it? I wish that there were at-least 2 extra hours in a day cause that will really help a chaotic person like me to instill some structure in my life..Ahh, a person can only hope, yes?

Anyways, this post was originally intended to be up on Father's day, in honor of the dads in my life(my dad,my son's dad, my nephew's dad...) but it would have been so inappropriate.Are you wondering why? While everything about "Sloppy Joe" screams man-food, it would have been inappropriate to honor the orderly and systematic dad(s) with such a sloppy dish. So I waited one more day to post this. Silly me. I know. But its so worth getting your fingers and face messy with this awesome dish. My version of "Sloppy Joe" has Sour Dill Pickle, Hot Cherry Peppers and Dark brown sugar amongst others things to give you a flavor explosion the minute it hits your mouth. Ooh, La, La!
Ingredients:
  • 1 Cup Lean Ground Turkey
  • 2/3 Cup Canned/Cooked Black Bean
  • 1 Medium Yellow Onion, finely chopped
  • 2 Cloves Garlic, finely chopped
  • 1 Small Green Bell Pepper
  • 2 Tbsp Dark Brown Sugar or less
  • 1/4 Cup Italian Sauce (Any brand- Prego or Ragu)
  • 1/2 Tsp Cracked Black Pepper (Optional)
  • 1 Kosher Dill Pickle Spear (I used Mt.Olive Brand)
  • 2 Hot Cherry Peppers in Vinegar Brine (B& G Brand)
  • 1 Tbsp Hot/Tabasco Sauce
  • 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
  • Salt as needed
Procedure:
  • Heat Olive Oil in a pan and brown the chopped onions. Once it is lightly browned, add the ground meat and stir until it becomes crumbly, for about 2-3 minutes.
  • Throw in the chopped Green bell pepper, cracked black pepper, Tabasco sauce. Stir to incorporate.
  • Pour the Italian sauce soon-after along with brown sugar and salt for taste.Stir to incorporate. Lid the pan and cook for 3-4 minutes.
  • Chop the Dill Pickle and Hot& Sour Cherry Peppers.
  • Add the drained black beans, the chopped up dill and hot&sour cherry peppers.
  • Cook for 3-4 more minutes without the lid and its good to eat.
Makes 2-3 Small Servings.

Note: Ground Turkey may be substituted with Ground Pork, Beef or Chicken or a combo of meats.Your call!

Enjoy!
Blog Widget by LinkWithin

23 comments:

  1. i love a messy sloppy jpe..interesting that u have used turkey..nice 2 have u back girl :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to have you back, and no worries...we are still here! I am not a big sloppy Joe fan, but this one I would love to try. This is the way it should be made...looks perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sloppy Joe...yumm yumm! Shall sub turkey with chicken...:D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmm that sloppy joe filling looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Seriously am drooling over that platter, makes me hungry..incredible sloppy joe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ive never had sloppy joes before but after reading ur post, I realise Ive been missing a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sometimes I too feel if I can get few more extra hours to wind up my work :-)
    Nice to see you back with that incredible looking platter

    Deepa
    Hamaree Rasoi

    ReplyDelete
  8. Recipe sounds interesting,makes me drool..yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a man's dish even for the most orderly of men. Great recipe to honor dad's.

    There are times when life happens, which puts our blogs to the back burner. That's okay...Glad to see you back.

    velva

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds so so yumm and recipe looks good too. Should try it once only time i make something with turkey is for christmas, so it will be a nice change to use turkey.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dear Lassie
    How are you?
    Very nice dish , only feel bad that I wont be able to make or eat it here.
    I dont want to improvise or replace any ingredients from the original recipe..
    Let me see what all have I missed from here.
    Have a great day

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good to see you in action CL....that messy sloppy jeo does look fantastic..one bite be just enough for me atleast now....and time i would appreciate if get 8 hrs more (greedy) :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. @Finla: I prefer to use Turkey more often than not cause its high in protein and low in fat. My hubby and I area big fans of this big bird. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. @Ushnish: U-da, my recipe is open to modifications. Feel free to use local ingredients to make this up. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. @Ananda: I hear you sister! I wish for more hours in a 24-hr day. Greedy me too.:)

    ReplyDelete
  16. @Sarah: Girl, don't wait anymore. Hurry up and get busy making this Sloppy dish.

    ReplyDelete
  17. CL...that looks really really good...just the idea that these can be made at home is so appealing...grt recipe too...:)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks a bunch for your valuable comments and continued support.They are very much appreciated. Yes,like "Rain on Dry Land" and like "Oasis in Desert Sand".
XoXo, Cool Lassi(e)