Pages

Thursday, June 23, 2011

My Gargantuan "post-workout" breakfast: Cheesy Eggs +

Print  Friendly and PDF
Okay, before you let your jaw drop, I have to tell you that I eat "this much" ONLY after an intense 1-hour workout session. I come back from the gym with a dinosaur-like appetite that only subsides after I eat "this much". So my post-workout breakfast consists of
  1. Fluffy omelet and cheese on a whole-wheat burger bun with POM/Orange juice to flush it down
  2. A handful of Special K "red berries" cereal, sliced banana in a cup of warm skimmed milk
  3. A mug of steaming plain green tea.
This keeps me full for a good 4-5 hours except making me thirsty for water of-course!Do you doubt?? Don't! The protein in the eggs, fiber in the banana and dried berries keep me full. This is my first entry for the 6th edition of week-long Blogging Marathon for the category "7 ways to use up an ingredient". My star ingredient is going to be "Cheese" cause I cook with them often and is well liked by one and all in the family. :). Today I chose the most common cheese "Cheddar" which is a staple in my fridge.

While everyone knows how to whip up an egg omelet, I will show my version anyway. I prefer mine soft, fluffy and barely set.Runny, jiggly eggs are not my style but my hubby assures me they are heavenly.Well, I don't know about that but I am working on getting over the aversion to jiggly eggs..
Ingredients:
  • 2 Egg Whites
  • 1 Egg Yolk
  • 1 Slice Yellow or White "Cheddar" Singles 
  • 1 Tbsp Skimmed Milk
  • 1 Tsp Melted Butter
  • 1 Tsp Olive Oil
  • A few Grinds of Cracked Pepper
  • Salt as needed
  • 1 Whole-Wheat Burger Bun
Procedure:
  • Add the Olive Oil and butter to the pan and give it a swirl.
  • Whisk the egg whites and egg yolk along with milk, salt and pepper.
  • Pour the egg-milk mixture into the pan and reduce the flame to low.  Keep stirring the egg mixture in circles.
  • Once the egg mixture starts thickening let it cook "undisturbed" for a minute or so.
  • Pull the spatula inwards and tilt the pan slightly so the runny portions flow over and cook for a minute.
  • Once the omelet is not jiggly, fold and add the cheese single.
  • Transfer the egg right-away to the bottom portion of the burger and top it with tomato slices.
  • Top it with the remaining portion of the bun and enjoy it warm with Orange Juice or POM Juice.
    Enjoy! 
  • The second portion of my breakfast-
Now I am ready to go about my business for the day without worrying about hunger pangs for the next 4-5 hours.
Blog Widget by LinkWithin

28 comments:

  1. OMG..what a perfect breakfast you have...Can you please call me too when you have breakfast again..

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a beautiful breakfast and looks so good to me...I worked out this morning too and was looking for some protein to eat! BTW I have a major adversion to jiggly eggs...I can't even tell you how much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A gud thing to look forward after my gym session :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow u come back home after a workout, make all this and then eat? i would just die if i had 2 make somethin after a heavy work out session, so instead i take an apple or banana or pear with me and on my way back munch on it..so that i dont have the urge 2 have all tht junk when i get home and gain the cals tht i painstakingly lost. I love the eggs in a burger form idea..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice one..Made me feel to grab the burger from the screen.extremely tempting .

    ReplyDelete
  6. Seriously am drooling over that platter, makes me hungry..incredible breakfast...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow wonderful theme CL, glad to see u back in BM, seriously am not a breakfast person,but ur wonderful cheesy eggs in bun tempts me a lot..

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your second portion of the breakfast since I don't eat eggs. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thats a delicious way to start a day..quite a tempting breakfast..and healthy too..

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow thats realy a healthy breakfast nice one.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow thats realy a healthy breakfast nice one.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is an AWESOME post workout sandwich!

    ReplyDelete
  13. ABSOLUTELY perfect breakfast. I wish someone can make this for me?? Lovely pics.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a healthy and perfect breakfast! Am eager to see the other recipes with cheese :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gorgeous presentation...Healthy and filling breakfast.

    ReplyDelete
  16. That's a power packed breakfast.....and a wonderful way to start the day.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a beautiful breakfast. I am craving breakfast right now. I might also add, what a beautiful plate! Have a great day, blessings, Catherine xo

    ReplyDelete
  18. My favorite breakfast Eggs! Lovely presentation and good clicks as always!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I will start going to gym to have this beautiful healthy breakfast combo.

    ReplyDelete
  20. @Lyndsey: Atleast that makes the 2 of us. I know many folks out there who swear by jiggly eggs every morning!

    ReplyDelete
  21. @An Open Book: Yes..Making them builds an anticipation too..really its doesn't take that much time.

    ReplyDelete
  22. That is one rocking breakfast after a workout!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Healthy option for breakfast.. but CL, what protein would you suggest I add in instead of the egg??

    Cheers
    Kalyani
    Event: One Pot Meals

    ReplyDelete
  24. wow! i love ur breakfast!!!! and i love the idea of eating it only after an hour of workout!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks a bunch for your valuable comments and continued support.They are very much appreciated. Yes,like "Rain on Dry Land" and like "Oasis in Desert Sand".
XoXo, Cool Lassi(e)