Pages

Thursday, June 30, 2011

Bombay Sandwich

Print  Friendly and PDF
Day 7 of Blogging marathon: The last day of Blogging marathon(6th edition) is all about getting paired randomly with one another participant and swapping recipes from each other's space. So I was paired with SriValli. I don't have to tell many of you who she is.For those of you who don't know, she is the blog author of the extremely popular Cooking for all seasons and Spicing You life. When it comes to blogging she is no new kid on the block. She is also the brain behind this wonderful Blogging Marathon that me and many other girls enthusiastically participate in. I was immensely happy that I got paired with SriValli. Her space has plenty of quick and easy recipe for the current theme that I am blogging about: Cheese. One recipe that caught my eye was the Bombay Sandwich and here is my adaptation of it. Instead of Butter I used "Swiss Cheese".
For those of you who are here for the first time, here are the recipes posted for BM#6:
Now onto the recipe-
Ingredients:
For the Mint-Cilantro Chutney(Makes ~ 1 Cup):
  • 1 Cup packed Mint
  • 1 Cup Packed Cilantro
  • 3-4 Tbsp Red Lentils
  • 1" Ginger
  • Marble sized Tamarind, cleaned and soaked in 1/4 Cup warm water
  • 2-3 Hot Green Chilies
  • 1-2 Dry Red Chilies
  • 2 Stalks Curry Leaves
  • Salt as needed
  • 3 Tsp Olive Oil
For the Bombay Sandwich(For 1 Large Serving/2 Small Servings):
  • 3 Slices of Pumpernickel Bread
  • 4-5 thin Slices of Cucumber
  • 5-6 thin Slices Boiled Potato
  • 4 thin Slices Tomato
  • 2 thin Slices Red Onion
  • 3 Wedges(~3-4 Tbsp) Swiss Cheese (I Used Laughing Cow)
  • 1 Tsp Olive Oil
Procedure:
  • In a pan, heat 1-1/2 Tsp oil and add the red lentils. When it starts turning light brown add both the read and green chilies followed by the ginger and curry leaves. Once the curry leaves start turning crisp, switch off the stove. Cool this and coarsely grind in a blender.

  • In the same pan, add the 1-1/2 Tsp Oil and lightly wilt the mint leaves. Takes about a minute.
  • Add the Cilantro leaves and switch off the stove. Mix both the leaves and cool.
  • Add the leaves to the blender that has coarsely ground lentil mixture along with salt, soaked tamarind and the water it was soaked in.
  • Grind it to a fine paste. This is the Mint-Cilantro Chutney.
  • Collect the things that you need to assemble the sandwich.
  • Spread swiss cheese on one side of all 3 slices. Assemble the sandwich in this order:Slice with cheese side up, 3 tsp of mint-cilantro chutney, 2 slices of cucumber, 3 slices of potato, 1 slice of onion and 2 slices of tomato. Repeat the same thing in the same order one more time.
  • Top it with the third slice with the cheese side down.
  • In a pan, drizzle 1 tsp of oil and place the sandwich and press it down with a burger press. This step is entirely optional. Let it crisp on one side for a minute. Do not flip.
  • Move it to a cutting board. Halve and serve.
Enjoy!
Blog Widget by LinkWithin

32 comments:

  1. delicious looking chutney yummy sandwich looks pleasing

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just made sandwiches too but yours look better than me, look so healthy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks absolutely amazing and healthy...beautiful color combinations..

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are literally killing me with those yummy clicks. I am so hungry right now but got to make something. Can I grab this one?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow that sandwich looks amazing! If I could wrap my mouth around it I'd take a big bite!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this recipe! My mom used to make a similar sandwich back in the day but without the mint chutney and cheese. She might have used butter and Maggi hot sauce instead.
    Do you think the mind chutney will keep in the fridge for few weeks? I doubt I could use up 1 cup of chutney in under a week.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Super delicious sandwich :) Wish I gobble it down my throat right now. Feeling hungry after reading the recipe. Love those oval shaped breads :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow, absolutely love the recipe and your step by step pics. I have eaten it while I was in bombay so I can sure taste it :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. @TD: You can always halve the recipe if you think you can't use up the mint chutney that quick. Mint chutney stays good for 2-3 days. I have only kept them that far. Else you can freeze them and thaw in the fridge a day before.

    Besides, mint chutney can go well with gazillion things...like Idli, Dosa or even roti..Or try mixing mint chutney with hot steaming rice and east with chips..I always do that.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This sandwich sounds like it's packed with some of my favorite ingredients! I'll definitely be trying that chutney.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Seriously am drooling over that irresistible,incredible and filling sandwich..

    ReplyDelete
  12. The sandwich looks a million bucks...
    but i m not sure of the pumpernickel in Bombay sandwich - the cocoa and the sourness just doesnt go well with the indian chutneys...

    ReplyDelete
  13. @Cooking Foodie: While the authentic Bombay Sandwich may use the White bread, this is my adapted version. And the sandwich tasted really good in-spite of the sour taste of the pumpernickel bread. But I am going to try using the white bread next time to see how the taste differs.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That looks like a hearty & delicious sandwich. Lovely pics. I enjoyed all your cheese recipes during the marathon, I've bookmarked almost all of them to try.
    Enjoy ur long weekend. Hope your husband's tooth feels better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Looks absolutely amazing and healthy...beautiful color combinations..

    ReplyDelete
  16. wow...Looks so wonderful and tempting sandwich...Love the colors..

    ReplyDelete
  17. Fantastic recipe sandwich looks so delicious

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love this bombay sandwich n the clicks r so perfect!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. heared about it a lot..but neaver had this...lovely recipe..

    ReplyDelete
  20. Beautiful clicks!! Bombay sandwich is my favorite but I like to make it with white bread.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Yes as an adaptation it is good! And the color contrasts are amazing...

    ReplyDelete
  22. delicious sandwich..reminds me of my college days in Mumbai when we used to go to the samdwichwala opp the college to have that nice chatpata delight.
    Tried your pepper chicken fry the other day, it was too good and have made it thrice after that. Thks for sharing this delicious recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Boy O boy!! That looks like an awesome sandwich and brilliant colors. I love your chutney recipe with red lentils.. sounds so good

    ReplyDelete
  24. Would you like to get more visitors from Mumbai?

    Submit your blog RSS url in zeole.com/mumbai . This is a one time submission. This would automatically submit a preview of your latest blogpost in Mumbai with a link back to your blog.

    Enjoy more traffic from Mumbai :-)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Amazing colours. The sandwich looks great.
    Do visit my place when you have the time.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks a bunch for your valuable comments and continued support.They are very much appreciated. Yes,like "Rain on Dry Land" and like "Oasis in Desert Sand".
XoXo, Cool Lassi(e)