Pages

Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Easy Eggless and Moist Banana-Nut Bread

Print  Friendly and PDF
This has been sitting in the draft for sometime for the lack of a bright picture. I dunno, whenever I decide to make this bread the rain gods decide to bestow upon my town a downpour that quickly turns to deluge with nary a ray of sunshine for a bright picture.. By the time the sun decides to come out I have got no bread left! So what gives? Do dying bananas and rain have a connection?  Now why do I waste my "brain space" with that pointless question? I have no idea. Anyways, I doubled the recipe this time(although the recipe is for only ONE loaf) to ensure that I had some left when the blanket of gloom lifts off.

Picture1: taken on a bight sunny day. Picture2: taken on a gloomy day.No matter what, this is the best Banana Walnut Bread (sans Eggs).While I am not a professionally trained cook, I am extremely confident about quality and the taste-factor of all the dishes I post.After a decade of dabbling in the kitchen I sort of know my way around it and certainly know how to put a great meal together. While that holds true, I am not in the habit of "frequently" attaching adjectives like "Fantastic, Fabulous, Insanely-Good, Best-Ever" to my dishes because I am humble enough to know there is always someone in some-part of the world who can do it better. But I have to say I am badly itching to go over-board with all those adjectives and more for this bread. Base Recipe was taken from here.
Ingredients(Makes One 9X5-inch loaf):
  • 1-1/2 Cups All-Purpose Flour
  • 1/2 Cup Whole-Wheat Flour
  • 1/3 Cup Sugar (1/2 Cup if you want it Sweet)
  • 1/2 Cup Walnuts, toasted and roughly chopped
  • 2-1/2 Tsp Baking Powder
  • 1/2 Tsp Baking Soda
  • 1/4 Tsp Salt
  • 1 Tbsp Bob's Red Mill Flax-seed Meal
  • 3 Tbsp Hot Water
  • 2 Tbsp Butter, melted
  • 2 Tbsp Canola Oil
  • 2 Tbsp Buttermilk
  • 3-4 Medium Very-Ripe "Cavendish/Chiquita" Bananas
  • 1 Tsp Vanilla Extract
 Procedure:
  • Sift both the flours, baking powder and baking soda in a large bowl.Add the salt and sugar and stir to combine.
  • Add the flaxseed meal to a small bowl along with the hot water. Stir to incorporate. Let it sit undisturbed for 10-12 minutes.
  • Peel and roughly mash the banana in a large bowl. To it add the melted butter, oil, flaxseed-water mixture, vanilla extract and buttermilk. Stir to combine.
  • Add the toasted and chopped walnuts.
  • Mix the dry ingredients with the wet, in small batches. Stir only till combined.
  • Grease the 9 X 5 inch loaf pan and line it with parchment paper or aluminum foil. Pour the batter into the pan.
  • Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Bake at this temperature for 40 minutes. Reduce the temperature to 325 degrees F and bake for 15 more minutes or until toothpick inserted in the center comes clean. 
  • Cool it completely prior to slicing. Goes well with a cup of Black Coffee or Strong Tea.
Make sure to check couple of similar quick breads: Cocoa-Banana-Walnut Bread, Egg-less Strawberry Walnut Bread.

Note:
  • After cooling wrap it in cling wrap and refrigerate. It tastes better the next day. 
  • Can be refrigerated up-to a week
Enjoy!
Blog Widget by LinkWithin

37 comments:

  1. i love banana bread, but after about 3 flops, you dont want to try it again..so now i just buy the moistest banana bread from the store :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks so delectable and would taste nice with that jam !

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the photos are lovely. There is nothing that beats a simple, fresh banana nut bread. Thanks for sharing this with us.

    Velva

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous bread! It looks so deliciously moist!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Banana bread looks dleicious.If you made healthy food from scratch you can link to Hearth and soul blog hop. since linky opens from Monday to Thursday, you link the recipe posted on that days. please link only one recipe. looking forward to healthy recipe from you. Here is mission if you are interested take a look at them.

    http://kitchenswathi.blogspot.com/p/hearth-and-soul-blog-hop.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've come across a lot of banana bread recipes lately and to be honest, I'm confused as to which one to try...! I'm taking your word for how good and moist it tasted. Now, I just have to bake my own...!

    ReplyDelete
  7. rain or shine....ur banana bread looks awesome! minus eggs is too good, should try it soon!..love the pic with kissan mango jam!! too tempting!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Super moist and fantastic bread, feel like having rite now,eventhough its not either snack or breakfast time,highly inviting..

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, does that looks like the perfect loaf — your crumb is gorgeous!There is something so very comforting about banana bread, a regular in our household!
    US Masala

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have some ripe bananas except the walnuts..I think I will try this onetoday..lovely presentation..

    ReplyDelete
  11. great bread and both the pictures look good to me :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love banana bread and eat it like I would eat a piece of cake and not exactly for brekky :D Yours look really good!

    ReplyDelete
  13. CL...that looks so rustic n nice...almost as if its from some quaint village somewhr in france...lol...my imagination is running wild...:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for sharing. Bookmarked. will the flax seeds make the bread taste different.

    ReplyDelete
  15. i have trouble with shots on gloomy days- but send the rain to Texas, since we do not get enough of it! Banana breads are my "escape" when those bananas "start to rot"- and your bread looks delightful indeed- bright or gloomy day!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Perfect bread .. sunny or gloomy :)
    Healthy too.

    Vardhini
    VardhinisKitchen

    ReplyDelete
  17. Banana bread looks moist and perfect--eggless makes it even better.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is just perfect... so moist and lovely.. Love your presentation:)
    Reva

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love banana bread! Looks moist and yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Moist and delicious..perfect and yummy breakfast.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love this bread, yet to try the flax seed meal version though :-)

    ReplyDelete
  22. i love those flavors of banana and nuts in bread..Looks so moist and perfect...

    ReplyDelete
  23. how nice you don't use ur brain space for nonsense coincidence, but sit and think endlessly! and banana bread looks fab! would be happy if i get for breakfast!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Got to make this sometime, it has been while since I baked.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wowww... looks so tempting and perfect.. amazing clicks too !!
    Indian Cuisine

    ReplyDelete
  26. Dear Lassie
    How are you? I can really say, and just reading the blog that it is fantastic, fabulous , insanely great and Interesting ( NOT AMERICAN).. I like the sunshine and gloomy bread adjectives too.
    Cant bake nowadays..I wish I could go back to good old baking days... Children have grown up and there is no taker for baked product... :-(
    A post on Gujarat is waiting for you and read it on a gloomy day ha ha
    Have a nice weekend

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love banana bread! Your bread looks very perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  28. This looks absolutely moist and scrumptious! :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Banana bread looks so yumm. Will surely give it a try.
    Loved the first click

    ReplyDelete

Thanks a bunch for your valuable comments and continued support.They are very much appreciated. Yes,like "Rain on Dry Land" and like "Oasis in Desert Sand".
XoXo, Cool Lassi(e)