Pages

Friday, May 13, 2011

Skillet Cauliflower with Peas/Lima Beans

Print  Friendly and PDF
With blogger undergoing a major housekeeping, I am wondering when I will get back my previous post "Eggplant Chettinad". I waited and waited but decided to go ahead with the posting with the "Curry in a Hurry" theme. So without further ado I am moving forward with Day5 of BM#5 with this super delicious curry dish really that can be made under 30 minutes from start to finish since all the ingredients have a very short cooking time.My most favorite way to eat any (dry) curry is with 'cooked and slightly smashed white rice topped with Yogurt'. Its the most simplest yet tastiest way to eat, if you ask me. My weakness for yogurt, milk and buttermilk is one reason I will never ever be able to go Vegan, if I decide to become one that is!
FYI, the photos of the curry were taken on 2 different days - one when using Green peas, another when using Lima beans. 
Ingredients:
  • 1 Head Cauliflower, stalks removed and cut into florets
  • 1/2 Cup Fresh or frozen Green Peas/Lima Beans
  • 1/2 Large Yellow Onion, finely chopped
  • 1 Tsp Cumin Seeds
  • 1 Tsp Split Black Gram (Available in Indian stores as "Urad Dhal")
  • 3/4 Tsp Mustard Seeds
  • 1 Tsp Cayenne Pepper or Chili Powder
  • 1/4 Tsp Turmeric Powder
  • 1/2 Tsp Cracked Black Pepper
  • 3 Tbsp Olive Oil
  • Salt for taste
  • 1 stalk Curry Leaves, optional
Procedure:
  • Soak the cauliflower florets in a bowl of warm water for 10 minutes.In a pan, add olive oil, black gram and cumin seeds. Saute until the black gram turns light brown.After a minute add the mustard seeds.
  • Throw in the chopped onions once the mustard seeds start sputtering.Saute till the onions are translucent and slightly browned.Sprinkle the Chili powder, Pepper powder, Turmeric powder.Mix well to incorporate.
  • Drain the cauliflower florets and add to the pan. Lid the pan and cook for 6-8 minutes adding a few sprinkles of water now and then. You may cook the cauliflower for a couple more minutes if you don't like them crunchy.
  • Throw in the peas/beans. Add salt as needed plus the curry leaves(if using) to the pan. Give a good stir and switch off a couple of minutes later.
  • Serve it over smashed warm rice topped with thick yogurt.

Also check out the Blogging Marathoners doing BM#5:
Curry in a hurry under 30 min: Cool Lassi(e), Harini, Kalyani, Priya Mahadevan, Suma
Seven Days of Colorful Dishes Kid's Special: Priya Suresh, Veena,
Seven Days of Indian Sweets: Shylaja, Srivalli
Seven Days of Regional Specials: Priya Yallapantula
Under 15 mins Quick Breakfast:Aarthi, Vaishali
Enjoy!
Blog Widget by LinkWithin

15 comments:

  1. Cauliflower and peas curry,i do quite often..but adding lima beans sounds interesting,yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know, hasn't this blogger thing been frustrating! I love this dish though and I'm glad you forged ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love cauliflower...This looks so colourful...will try soon

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks so delicious and a beautiful color. Feel like grabbing some
    South Indian Home

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Nalini,

    I will definetly post the recipe for boondhi laddu shortly. Since it was very similar to Special I did not do this for the marathon.However I will post it in a week's time.

    The procedure is the same except that we dont add ghee and we need to be careful about the sugar syrup :-)
    South Indian Home

    ReplyDelete
  6. I also add Lima beans. I llike the addition of green peas only the peas are desi. Love the color of your curry!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so simple yet satisfying with plain rice or rotis!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I need to eat more cauliflowers...not that I don't like them, on the contrary, I enjoy them tremendously, but somehow I just don't think of getting them whenever I do the grocery shopping.
    Yours look so good and healthy with green peas.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very colorful!
    My post has also been not restored till now though Valli mentioned that she got her post back last night itself.

    ReplyDelete
  10. cauliflower and peas curry looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cauliflower is one of my favorite things to eat! Looks like a great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  12. i make the one with peas very often!...quick and easy to make!
    Smitha

    ReplyDelete

Thanks a bunch for your valuable comments and continued support.They are very much appreciated. Yes,like "Rain on Dry Land" and like "Oasis in Desert Sand".
XoXo, Cool Lassi(e)