Pages

Friday, April 8, 2011

Mac And Minty Meatballs Marinara

Print  Friendly and PDF
My son loves meatballs.As a matter of fact, we all do. Ergo,I always make large batches and freeze a portion of them in single serving boxes cause I never know when or how often he(we) would want it..badly! Meatballs are an ultimate comfort food for many and its no different in our family. I am constantly experimenting with new ingredients, alternating between baking and stove-top cooking but always coming to the same conclusion- Fabulous! Yea, this is one dish that has never failed me so far. So beyond being tasty, comforting and substantial it is also very very forgiving! That is what I love about meatballs. You can't really go wrong with the taste no matter how hard you try. Now that is something you cannot say about many dishes.
I also have to say that I am partial to meatballs in marinara sauce(If you follow me regularly you would know how I have sung praises about this wonder sauce here) which is pretty much why I always use it to coat my meatballs in. Have you ever tried meatballs with raisins? I was inspired to try it after I saw Oprah rave in one of her talk-show episodes about her favorite meatballs that had a secret ingredient -- Raisins.Yeah, Trattoria Mollie's meatballs has black raisins. So here is an adapted recipe for Turkey-Sausage Meatballs With Raisins. I also tried my hand at baking the Meatballs with Broccoli Rabe.You can read that success story here.


Ingredients:
  • 2 Cups Ground Meat (Can be Minced Turkey/Chicken/Pork or a mixed choice)
  • 1/4 Cup Chopped Mint
  • 1/8 Cup Chopped Cilantro
  • 1/4 Cup + 1 Tbsp Reduced-fat Milk
  • 1/2 Cup Chopped Red Onion
  • 2 Cloves Garlic, grated
  • 3-4 Stale Brown Bread, toasted and crumbed
  • 1 Egg
  • 1 Tbsp Coriander Powder
  • 1 Tbsp Cracked Black Pepper or less
  • 1/4 Cup Parmigiano-Reggiano Cheese
  • 1 Tsp Salt or more/less
  • 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
  • Olive Oil for browning the meat balls
  • 1/2 of 26 Oz Jar of Low-sodium Marinara Sauce , any brand
Procedure:
  • Add all of the above ingredients in a wide shallow bowl except the Marinara Sauce.
  • Combine the meat,bread crumbs, mint, cilantro, garlic, chopped onions, salt, cracked pepper, 1 tbsp olive oil and the cheese ONLY until combined. Over mixing will yield tough meatballs.
  • Let the mixture rest for 10-15 minutes.
  • Divide the mixture into golf-ball sized balls (= 25 meatballs ~).
  • Coat a wide non-stick skillet with Olive oil and brown the meatballs in batches for 2-3 minutes per side. Don't fully cook it as it will get cooked in the Marinara Sauce.
  • Drain them on paper towels.
  • Bring the sauce to a boil. Add more salt or pepper if needed. Drop the partially cooked meatballs. Lid the pan and cook the meatballs for 15 minutes turning them gently midway.
  • Enjoy them as is or with any choice of pasta. This time we had it with macaroni because my son loves it.
Enjoy!
Blog Widget by LinkWithin

22 comments:

  1. somewhat same pinch!...I posted kofta today!...:))
    i never made meatballs with marinara...always made it like koftas with indian gravy! Maybe I should try it sometime!...I like ur step by step! The end product looks delish!
    Smitha
    Smitha's Spicy Flavors

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow looks delicious,wonderful dinner option..thanks for sharing dear.

    ReplyDelete
  3. sounds delicious.never tried meatballs..Will try to make some this weekend

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful meatballs cl.Captivating pics.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful meatballs with awesome marinara sauce.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great pictures and a yummy dish lassie!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Never made meat balls. Looks yummy. Awesome pics CL.

    ReplyDelete
  8. @CL....the snap looks divine....it is asking me to try it out right away....its that kinda of a snap...;)..you have made it sounds nice n' easy...will try it n' let you know...:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful and tempting meatballs...Love the color...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Tempting pasta with irresistible meatballs...seriously am hungry even after my lunch..

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks so yummy and the meatballs are truly tempting!Love your step by step pictorial...

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love all of the non-traditional spices you added into these meatballs! Makes them more delicious in my opinion!

    ReplyDelete
  13. The clicks are way too tempting. Marinara is one of my fav sauces , so I'll love this for sure :-) You sure have so many yummy meat ball recipes here

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi dear, How are you? Thank you very much for the warm wishes. Take care :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. A scrummy meal! I love meatballs ad macaronis.

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love that tempting sauce...meat balls look extremely yum....scrumptious meal....

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hey u changed the Layout..love the big pictures.. Dear,. Awesome post.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wonderful recipe..the meatballs in the sauce looks so tempting...just right for a great dinner with family.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks a bunch for your valuable comments and continued support.They are very much appreciated. Yes,like "Rain on Dry Land" and like "Oasis in Desert Sand".
XoXo, Cool Lassi(e)