Pages

Thursday, April 21, 2011

Cabbage, Onion And Blackgram Fritters "Doughnut Vadai"

Print  Friendly and PDF
Day4 of BM#4: My neighbors, a gay couple sold their house last week and moved out. I mean why would anyone want to sell their house when its not a seller's market?? Found a bigger house?? Can't afford to pay the mortgage?? Don't know what the reason was but I am sad to see them go.I will especially miss "hubby#2" cause he was a true example of perseverance and discipline. There wasn't much of an interaction between us except for an occasional hi and bye..But I used to watch him..Don't take it wrong, I wasn't ogling but I liked watching him go about his business.You see,my kitchen overlooks his garage and since I spend most of my time washing and cleaning in the kitchen I couldn't escape clapping eyes on him, whether I liked it or not. Oh, I liked.
So "hubby#2" drives a blue beetle. I have never seen someone care of their car like he did. Rain or shine, hell or high-water, he would clean his car the old-fashioned way - with a pail of water and a soapy sponge exactly 2 times a week. No more, no less. Even when there was snow on the ground he carried on. Nothing would deter him from his car-cleaning obligation. That kind of dogged determination certainly impressed me and I rejoiced that I had found "my muse for discipline". He had recently adopted an uber cute Chihuahua puppy that he would take for a walk right after he comes from work.Now my loss is two-fold -- I will miss my neighbor "hubby#two" and his puppy too.
Speaking of discipline and perseverance, you will need it both if you want to make this deliciously deep-fried fritter. The texture and consistency of the batter is important if you want the fritters to have that perfect hole in the center to resemble a doughnut and there is no easy way out. The batter is indeed unforgiving..if it is too runny it will end up like these. So if you fail to achieve this perfection first time, try it again and again. Its totally worth it. Addition of cabbage in this "Doughnut Vadai" was a new for me.
I first saw this at Kathy's space, The Colors of Indian Cooking,  about 2 months ago. Kathy is an extremely talented Hollywood writer and an equally talented cook whose Momo recipe, Pizza recipe, Vietnamese drip coffee recipe and definitely this Cabbage fritter recipe have made me go mad with wanting. I made this Fritters(Vadai) for my hubby's potluck party at work and he said they were gone in a matter of minutes. Its totally irresistible and definitely not to be missed out. Even my 3-yr old who doesn't care for hot, spicy food but certainly loves deep-fried goodies, asks for seconds.He is equally crazy about Masala Vadai too.

Ingredients:
  • 1 Cup Whole Black Lentil/Black Gram minus the shell
  • 1 Medium Yellow Onion, finely chopped
  • 1-1/2 Cup Finely Shredded Cabbage
  • 1/8 Cup Finely Chopped Cilantro
  • 4-6 Hot Green Chilies or More/Less 
  • 1/2" Ginger, peeled and finely chopped
  • 1/8 Cup Fresh or Frozen Green-peas (Optional)
  • Canola Oil for deep-frying
Tool:
  • Kadai or a dutch oven for deep frying

Procedure:
  • Soak the Black Lentils in water for about 2-3 hours.
  • Drain it completely and grind it to a fine paste with very-less/no water either in a food processor or a blender.
  • Remove the seeds of the hot green chili, finely chop and add to the lentil paste.
  • Add the chopped cabbage, onion, cilantro, salt to the batter. I did not grind the onions because it leaves water and that is bad for the batter. The batter has to be relatively thick to make a doughnut shaped fritter.
  • Place a Ziploc plastic bag on a flat surface, smear it with oil and add a golf-ball size batter. Press it down gently to form a Pattie. Using the forefinger put a hole in the center.
  • Pick up the Ziploc bag with your left hand, transfer the doughnut to your right hand and drop it gently into the oil. Repeat for the remaining batter. Deep fry fritters in batches until they are browned evenly on both sides.
  • Fish them out of the oil using a skimmer and drain them on paper towel and serve it hot and crispy with a cup of Masala Chai/Tea.


Makes ~ 20 Doughnut Fritters.

Note:
  • It is extremely important that you grind the batter with as less water as possible(no more than 2-3 tbsp). The dough has to be relatively thick to form a perfect doughnut shaped fritter.
  • Do not let the batter rest. The salt in the batter will make the cabbage and onion shed water thereby making it soggy.Ergo, no perfect doughnut and no crispy fritter.
Check out the Blogging Marathoners doing (Group 3) BM#4 along with me-
Diabetes Diet/Management: Kamalika, Smitha, Suma
Kid Friendly Recipes: Anusha, Cool Lassi(e)
Seven Days of Soup: Priya Suresh
Seven Days of Indian Bread: Jayasree, Pavani
Seven Days of Cakes:  Priya Vasu
Seven Days of Preserves: Gayathri Kumar, Vaishali
30 Minutes Meals: Priya Mahadevan, Sriv

Enjoy!
Blog Widget by LinkWithin

36 comments:

  1. Lovely colour and texture of the vadais...have always watched my mom in awe while she used to make these perfectly.
    And the pictures are making them even more irresistible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can have just the plateful of this vadai's for dinner.Absolutely yummy.
    love all the pictures.I see some difference ..is it a new camera?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those fritters look really delicious...wish 2 gobble few off d screen

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sure is disciplined and determination to clean your car twice a week. I haven't cleaned my car (inside and outside), for not sure how many months. Bad Priya, I know :(

    anyways, your vadais looks absolutely drool-worthy, I am surely going to give them a try, soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. CL....i don't know how you do it...i have huge respect for ppl who do step by step instructions with snaps...:)....love this dish...would love to try it out...:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lassie, I could never get them into donut shapes--they taste awesome tho'.

    I'm going to try your ziplock trick next time. thanks so much for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
  7. hey i wish this was rt in front of me.....look so crunchy..feel like having one...n just the perfect color!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. you are literally killing & tantalizing me with those pics - I am embarrassed to say that I am really salivating over the pics! Pure Eye-candy! I am so making these asap!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice n tempting pictures!! My mom makes these vadas only with cabbage :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am officially in love with the idea of savory fritters! These look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Tempting vada... The shape and the color are perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  12. "Rain or shine" - I never clean my car today it rained n my car had a free wash..

    Its a well written post i love the 1st two paras... spe..

    n vadas r so so perfect.. love it.. i cannot put holes in my vada so perfectly..

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my you are making me drool with ur delicious food CL!!!!! Vadai is damn inviting, tempting and making me crave for some!!!! Making it tomorrow!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Omg, feel like munching some crispy vadas rite now..Seriously i want some immediately..

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sorry to hear about your good neighbors moving. Cleaning the car is last thing happens now days.These crispy vadai loaded with veggies looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  16. you have no idea how much i am craving hot hot vadas...sadly i dont have the main ingredient..sigh

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very nice..Looks too good, feel like grabbbing some from the screen :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Delicious and tempting vadai,i am craving for them right now

    ReplyDelete
  19. My husband has to meet this hubby#2. My husband is the opposite and never cleans his van. :)
    Your vadas are so gorgeous that I am literally drooling over here. Really tempting pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  20. We wait for the elements to clean our car. Both my husband and I are determined to be "green" and avoid car washing as much as we can. So I won't like hubby#2 if he was my neighbor. :-)
    Vadas look super yumm.. I might have to make them pretty soon otherwise I'll probably start seeing your lovely pics in my dreams.

    ReplyDelete
  21. oh wow!...i was mesmerized by the vadas....they look too tempting and delicious! on my list now! :)
    Smitha
    Smitha's Spicy Flavors

    ReplyDelete
  22. Perfect ones.. love the perfect shapes...

    ReplyDelete
  23. CL, those vadas are so tempting..perfect shape and colour!..I admire people who carry on their work religiously come what may..it's hard to have so much discipline..

    ReplyDelete
  24. Lip smacking prep..... Awesome captures of those drool worthy rings.... Very innovative & tempting... :)

    Ash....
    (http://hastkala-oceancihope.blogspot.com/)

    ReplyDelete
  25. wow wow wow.. such a wonderful presentation.. so inviting.. can i join u for tea :)

    new to ur space n happy to follow u for more wonderful creations..
    do visit me when u get time ..
    http://comeletseat.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wow...You had made perfect vadai ...

    I used to try ...But sometimes...very rarely used to get the shape...

    Thanks...

    ReplyDelete
  27. What a great recipe! Your fritters look incredibly scrumptious and platable.

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  28. Delicious fritters :) yummmmm :) love the clicks too :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. compared to your neighbour here is my hubby who only washes the car when the in laws (his of course) are in town. the medhu vadai looks perfect.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks a bunch for your valuable comments and continued support.They are very much appreciated. Yes,like "Rain on Dry Land" and like "Oasis in Desert Sand".
XoXo, Cool Lassi(e)