Pages

Friday, May 7, 2010

"Thayir Vadai", Deep Fried Lentil Dumplings In Seasoned Yogurt Sauce

Print  Friendly and PDF
If there is a tricky recipe,this has to be it. What I mean is, if you don't grind it to a right consistency, they can't be shaped like doughnuts which is how they are supposed to look like. All I can say is, practice makes it perfect. And they are called "Methu Vadai" and if you dunk them in Yogurt Sauce they become "Thayir/Dahi Vadai". The key is to grind them WITHOUT WATER. But I did and you can see that I gave up trying to make a hole in the center.Instead used mini ice-cream scoop to spoon batter into the oil.
Sending this as an entry to International Incident Party held at Jeroxie's.
-
Ingredients:
For the dumplings:
  • De-hulled Whole Black Gram(Urad Dhal) - 1/2 cup
  • Green Chillies - 3, finely chopped
  • Ginger paste - 1/2 tsp
  • Rice Flour - 1/2 tsp
  • Baking Soda - a pinch
  • Salt for taste 
  • Corn Oil for deep frying
  • Olive oil for greasing - 1 tsp
For the Yogurt Sauce:
  • Thick Yogurt - 4 cups, whipped with 3 tbsp of water
  • Cilantro - 2 tbsp, finely chopped (for Garnish)
  • Salt - a dash 
For Seasoning the Yogurt: (Entirely Optional)
  • Mustard Seeds and Split Urad Dhal - 1 tsp each
  • Corn Oil - 1 tbsp
Procedure:
  • Optional seasoning for Yogurt - In a skillet add a tbsp of oil and fry the Mustard seeds and Urad dhal.Add it to the Yogurt.
  • Mix the Yogurt and Salt and transfer it to a shallow bowl.
  • Wash the black gram and soak with just enough water to cover it barely. Add more water if they swell and soak for exactly an hour. No more, no less.
  • Completely drain them and grind it with ginger to a smooth paste with No Added Water if possible. Else use a tsp or 2 of cold water for grinding.
  • Add the rice flour, baking soda and salt and mix it.
  • Grease the top of a Ziploc bag and spoon 2 tbsp of the batter. Poke a hole in the center and slowly transfer it to the right hand(also greased) and gently drop it into the oil.
  • Drain them on paper towels and immediately drop it into the Yogurt. Cover them entirely and let it sit for about half an hour.
  • Garnish with Cilantro before serving.
Makes about 10 dumplings.

Enjoy!
Blog Widget by LinkWithin

56 comments:

  1. Hey

    Dahi vada looks mouthwatering and yummy..:-)) greatt pics too!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lassie..what a picture dear...looks soo mouthwatering...

    Love
    Kairali sisters

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too sometimes add water to vadais and end up making bonda...thatz what my husband says when I make vadais without hole :( maybe I should make thair vadai next time...yours looks so good dear...very tempting :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow, you are really tempting me to get a deepfryer! I think they great and yummy! Why do they need hole anyway? :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thayir vadaina naan appadiye saapiduven..makes me drool..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi
    Indeed you are correct "practice makes it perfect".
    Your look awesome.
    Have a great weekend x

    ReplyDelete
  7. thair vadai..one of my favorite snack.but i hardly cook this at home.but had a lot from restaurant and friends place..so delicious..the vada looks so yummy..Lovely pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I never them...the darn holes! But the texture looks perfect and crispy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Lyndsey -- Dear, I have no idea why they are supposed to have a hole..just like how a doughnut has holes, this one does too. As you can see, mine doesn't have a hole because I couldn't make one anyway.:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Seriously, those dumplings are calling out my name! Looks so delicious with the sauce!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dahi Vade...wah wah...I love this item...:)
    To fry the vadas is a bit time consuming but it's okie..We make this one line once in 2-3 months ...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thayir vadai looks really yummy. Don't worry about holes. Tastes matters

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thayir Vadai sounds awesome and delicious. Husband's fav!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lassie, in my house, I have to count how many of those dry vadas actually get in the dahi... lol

    Beautiful clicks :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. These sounds so delicious...but anything deepfried is my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  16. These look wonderful. I know I would love the flavor combo here. They look great to me without the holes!

    ReplyDelete
  17. i love this dish...wanna grab it right away from ur pic...lovely dish and nice clicks...

    ReplyDelete
  18. lovely vadas..always our favourite but i hardly make them....

    ReplyDelete
  19. these look very crispy and yummy even without holes ;-)

    Deepa
    Hamaree Rasoi

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi CL...keep me some thayir vadais pls!!! ;)

    I love them soooooo much!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I usually try to avoid anything deep fried at all costs. But I don't think I could resist trying these! They look delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love yogurt a lot and anything with it. Thayir Vadais look good and yum!

    ReplyDelete
  23. These sound scrumptious and terrific with the yogurt sauce!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wow mouthwatering and crispy vada... tempting...

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi dear, interessante e gustosa questa ricetta, non la conoscevo! Kisses

    ReplyDelete
  26. Dear lassie
    You think I will or any one of us will believe that you could not make a hole in the Vada...? No way..
    I think you made a north Indian style Vada , what they use in Dahi Bhalla.
    Whats in a shape? I am sure it is very tasty..I love dahi vada in all its form and taste too.
    Have a nice weekend

    ReplyDelete
  27. He he, vadai, my favourite. Ate them during tea time!

    ReplyDelete
  28. a favourite..i always make them when I have lot of guests..

    ReplyDelete
  29. hole or no hole..i can gobble them up any time...

    ReplyDelete
  30. THESE LOOK AMAZING! tHANKS FOR SHARING.

    NISRINE

    ReplyDelete
  31. Looks mouthwatering..with these gr8 pictures..

    ReplyDelete
  32. Dahi wada hole or no hole look amazing ,crispy and delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Tempting... I love these... nice clicks...

    ReplyDelete
  34. Such a wonderful recipe. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Awesome lip smacking prep..... I remember my Maa in-law, every time I come across this prep..... She prepares awesome dahi vadas for the fest of HOLI.... I love the way it tastes & melts in my mouth..... Looking forward to taste my next serve of Dahi vadas.... Keeping fingers crossed to get a chance... very soon......

    Happy Mothers Day!!!!

    Ash...
    (http://asha-oceanichope.blogspot.com/)

    ReplyDelete
  36. Tayir vadai is my favorite and these pics makes me nostalgic.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Delicious vadas and loved ur version of thayir vadas. U made me crave for some now :):)

    ReplyDelete
  38. aaah this looks delicious...
    We also prepare a similar dish called Dahi Wada !
    These blogs are making me feel more and more that Indian is such a large and diverse country !

    ReplyDelete
  39. OMG... I want to make this. Thanks for joining... will link up once my post is up.

    Thanks again for joining. YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Ooh, Vegetarian dumplings! Will definitely have to try these soon. Happy International Dumpling Incident Party day :)

    ReplyDelete
  41. Absolutely delicious, thank you for this recipe! I discovered wadai with my Sri Lankan friends a couple of weeks ago (and just posted about it, actually) and have been thinking about deep fried lentils every since.

    ReplyDelete
  42. Very nice job..even if tricky to make. With lentils they are hardy indeed but lightened with the yogurt. Yumm

    ReplyDelete
  43. Wow, I WANT these!! They look mouthwatering!

    ReplyDelete
  44. These look fantastic. I never would have thought of lentil dumplings, but I am not very well versed in the ways of Indian cooking. Thank you for introducing me to a new delight!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks a bunch for your valuable comments and continued support.They are very much appreciated. Yes,like "Rain on Dry Land" and like "Oasis in Desert Sand".
XoXo, Cool Lassi(e)