Pages

Thursday, September 23, 2010

RecipeReplica: Baked Potata With Cottage Cheese And Vegetables Stuffing

Print  Friendly and PDF
When I saw this recipe at Veggie Fare, I wanted to stop what I was doing to go try this right-away.What stopped me was the fact that this is a bit more time consuming than you'd think. Since I am not a big fan of extensive labor,especially in the kitchen with a snot-nosed brat clinging to my legs like a leech, I had to keep postponing it. Only on rare occasions I make an exception to cook for hours together -- when I need therapy.Badly.Culinary therapy that is. I have to say, these days I am getting frustrated on many levels and that too more often than not.Frustration in many forms and from many angles, like this scenario for instance:
Conversation btw my twaddler(A) and me-
Me: A, come lets have food
A: Mommy, no. Want Emma Thamma Candy (M&M Candy)
Me:Candy is not food. Candy is a treat "after" you eat food. Come let me strap you in the high chair.
(After a bit of hassle, I strap him to the high chair)
A: Mommy, wanna watch Max &Yuuuby (Max&Ruby in Nickelodeon Jr, recorded episode)
(I place a plate of food and let him get a sense of what he is going to eat)
A: Mommy, wanna Orange Juice(Thats how he says, Lol)
(I get him a glass of OJ)
A: Mommy, wanna Ice Cube Jiya(Water with Ice cubes)
(I get him a glass of Cold water)
(Baby A loudly drags the water through the straw and sprays it all over the food tray)
(I drag the glass of water, place it closeby and take a spoon of food to force-feed)
(Baby A pretends he is a DJ and makes similar motions in the air with both hands to block the spoon from touching his mouth)
Me:A, do you want timeout in the dark room, with just the Vacuum cleaner for company?
A:Sowwie (Sorry)
Me:A,Do you want me to call the cops? Cops arrest bad boys like you.
A:No mommy Sowwie. No Cops,No Vacuum Cleaner and No Dark Room. (Baahhhh and Crocodile tears)
(Dad switches off all the lights. Lets go)
(All lights are switched off for a minute)
A: No daddy..No Mommy. Sowwie. **Scream**
Me: Then tell me you will eat your food. 
A: Yes Mommy. Eat Food.
(All lights are turned on)
(A opens his mouth like a piggy-bank slit. Eats a bit and spits on his bib)
A: Mommy, its beans.
Me: A, its not beans. Its carrot and eggs. Chew and swallow.
(A has issues with eating coarse foods)
(A Eats a second spoon of food and is about spit that one too)
Me: A, do you want to watch Tom and Jerry, car chasing scene?
(A loves watching anything that has cars and trucks. So I get to the recorded episode and FF to the scene where there is a car chase scene)
(A is distracted and I stuff food quickly into his mouth all the while chanting the mantra "Chew and Swallow", "Chew and Swallow" atleast a couple of hundred times)
Oh, this happens at every meal and by the end of the session I am ready to kick some butt or pull someone's hair. To top it,my MIL will come and tell me that it isn't easy raising a child. I laugh out loud, on the inside cause there was a time, some 3 yrs ago when I thought child bearing and birthing was the biggest challenge I faced. Now, I tell you my readers, that was a walk in the park. Child rearing is the toughest one yet.
My son who makes me brim with pride on many occasions -- Yeah, he turned 3 just last week and he can tell A-Z, 1-50, all days in a week,all month in a year, knows almost all veggies and fruits, can read 3 letter words etc etc -- makes me despair with his eating habits. I dream of a time in future when my strapping son would make me cook for an army and eat it all up and ask for more.Will it ever come true, I wonder.

After one such session, I crave for an elaborate recipe and this one fit the bill. For similar mouth watering vegetarian recipe ideas, visit Veggi Fare.
This can be eaten as an appetizer or served as a side to Ghee Rice, Egg Fried Rice, Herbed Vegan Fried Rice. I served it with a Karnatakan Specialty called Carrot Bhath(Recipe coming soon).
Ingredients:
  • 6 mid-sized Red Potatoes, Parboiled for 10 minutes, Peeled, Hollowed with an Apple Corer
  • 2 Tbsp Cilantro, finely chopped for garnish
  • 3 Tbsp Olive Oil
  • 1 Tbsp Lemon Juice
For the Filling:
  • 3/4 Cup of Mixed Vegetables(Carrots, String Beans, 3 Parboiled Potato Core), finely chopped
  • 2 Tbsp Red Onion, finely chopped
  • 1 1/2 Tsp Cumin Seeds
  • 1 1/2 tsp Dried fenugreek leave(sold as "Kasuri Methi" in Indian stores)
  • 1 tsp Garam Masala (Indian Spice Mix)
  • 1/4 Cup Paneer, Cubed
  • 1/2 tsp Cracked pepper
  • 1/2 tsp Ginger-Garlic paste
  • Salt for taste
For the Coating:
  • 3 Tbsp ChickPea Flour(sold as "Besan" in Indian store)
  • 1 Tsp Ginger-Garlic Paste
  • 1 tsp Olive Oil
  • 4 Tbsp Thick Yogurt
  • 1/8 Tsp Salt
  • 1/2 tsp Dried Fenugreek leaves
Procedure:
  • Core the parboiled potatoes using an apple corer.
  • In a  pan, heat a tbsp of oil and add the cumin seeds and chopped onions.
  • Saute the onions till they are transparent. Add ginger garlic paste and fry for a minute or two.
  • Throw in the chopped vegetables and saute for a minute. 
  • Sprinkle a little water, lid the pan and cook the vegetables for 5 minutes.
  • Add Garam Masala, dried fenugreek leaves, salt and pepper and stir. Cook for a couple more minutes.
  • In another pan, add a tbsp of oil and shallow fry the paneer cubes till they are slightly brown on all sides. 
  • Cool and crumble the Paneer.
  • Add to the Vegetable mixture and mix well to incorporate. Cool the mixture.
  • Meanwhile, mix all the ingredients for the coating in a small bowl and keep it ready.
  • Fill the potatoes with the filling mixture using hands. Save the leftover fillings for garnish.
  • Dunk the potatoes in the Yogurt-Flour Coating and lay them on well-greased oven-proof sheet.
  • Bake at 375 degrees F for ~40 minutes, turning them once or twice midway.
  • Cool the potatoes slightly and carefully slice them.Arrange them on a serving dish.
  • Garnish with the leftover filling,chopped cilantro and a bit of lemon juice.
    Makes 4-5 Servings.

    Enjoy!
    Blog Widget by LinkWithin

    34 comments:

    1. Hahaha...loved the conversation..the scenario is same here too....The baked potato dish just made me crazy to make it soon...thanks for sharing the delicious dish...

      ReplyDelete
    2. I can so relate to your conversations. That potato filled with paneer looks super yummy !!! Lovely presentation.

      ReplyDelete
    3. Yummy looking dish..very good treat indeed :)

      ReplyDelete
    4. Kids are truly a mixed bag. One minute they are totally awesome and the next you want to pull their hair out. wait. DId I just say that?

      Hmmm. These potatoes look awesome! Well worth the extra time, I hope!

      ReplyDelete
    5. This looks amazing. What a treat.

      Word of advice: don't despair. He will grow out of it. Once he starts preschool, you'll be fine. Just the first three years are hard, after that it becomes easier.

      ReplyDelete
    6. i fit in ur boots lassie...my 22mnth old nowadays has become the king of mischiefs...feeling like pulling my hairs..fun/headache sumtime...they r a mixed bag...loved reading ur conversation...and the baked potatoes with tht sinfull paneer filling in taking my breath...so so delicious....craving for some now......looks eye catchy as usual CL

      ReplyDelete
    7. wow great spuds oh your poor thing J can be tough at times too her latest thing is Daddy do it so she wants Daddy to do everything for her !!! man

      ReplyDelete
    8. Lovely stuffed potatoes...Love the pics lassie

      ReplyDelete
    9. I totally identify with your conversation..I have a 3 year old daughter and she acts going on thirteen for everything else but food..lol..i repeat the same words that you mentioned atleast a thousand times a day..*sigh*
      Love the paneer filled potatoes..goes to my to do list :)

      US Masala

      ReplyDelete
    10. Great looking dish...I might try making potatoes like this with a meat filling.

      ReplyDelete
    11. Loved the conversation...So cute...

      Nice recipe...thanks for sharing...

      ReplyDelete
    12. Hi,

      Looks so yummmmmmmmmmmmmmmy...Lovely clicks...beautiful presentation dear...

      Dr.Sameena@

      www.myeasytocookrecipes.blogspot.com
      www.lovelypriyanka.blogspot.com

      ReplyDelete
    13. your conversation brought a smile to my face after a long day with my 3yr old.BTW he too completed 3in september and started pre-school... that means 3 hrs of ME time..Yayyyy..loving it.will be back to blogging soon.

      ReplyDelete
    14. anything with potatoes..absolutely SOLD!!!
      im loving the filling idea, should try it some time...and thanks for those encouraging words on the poll :)

      ReplyDelete
    15. So cute conservation, baked potatoes makes me drool, love that filling..

      ReplyDelete
    16. Dear Lassie
      LOL ...so you are having real exciting time your kid...I knew it after reading your great plane journey last year ....Enjoy thoroughly these very precious moments of life, Now I really wish to relive those moments again.
      Very nice stuffed potatoes... I wont attempt it for sure ...every time I tried to make stuffed potatoes, I always landed up eating horrible tasting ALu tikki with a make shift, more horrible chutney ha ha
      Have a nice weekend with your Teddy sticking to your leg all the time ...

      Ushnishda

      ReplyDelete
    17. Hi,

      I loved reading the write ..... very amusing. Thanks for visiting my blog.

      We should definitely try to catch up sometime as we stay so close.

      Have a nice weekend.

      Cheers n Happy Cooking,
      Satrupa

      http://satrupa-foodforthought.blogspot.com

      ReplyDelete
    18. Very cute conversation. I think it just the same everywhere. When i finish feeding the lil one I'm so tired and exhausted..Lovely potatoes with veggies and paneer. Perfectly done !!

      ReplyDelete
    19. Hey CL,

      Your post made my dull and gloomy day, and, brought a big smile on my face :-) Thanks for trying out my recipe.

      Enjoyed reading the cute mommy-son conversation and yes, belated birthday wishes to A :-)

      ReplyDelete
    20. ooooo....I love them....Can I have it?...being shameless!!

      ReplyDelete
    21. Hi,
      Found your blog while searching for a chocolate cake recipe a week back! Coming back nw.You have a amazing recipe and food photography collection.
      Stuffed potatoes look yummy...anything with paneer & potatoes is a hit...
      Do vivit me sometime.I am your happy follower on FB nw :)

      -Tanvi

      ReplyDelete
    22. @Joanne: How come you know so much about kids without having one of your own? Troublesome siblings?

      ReplyDelete
    23. @Ushnish-da: Sure I will try to enjoy.
      @Everyone: Tx for your support and assurance.

      ReplyDelete
    24. awee that was cute conversation, have fun mama...loving the idea of potato filling gorgeous pictures :)

      ReplyDelete
    25. THis is an awesome recipe. I like the idea of how you have stuffed the potatoes with masala. Must give this one a try. Very cool!

      ReplyDelete
    26. Love the pictures and stuffed baked potatoes look very tasty...

      ReplyDelete
    27. Anything with Potato is always welcome in our home!!! Stuffed Potatoes look very very tempting!!!

      ReplyDelete

    Thanks a bunch for your valuable comments and continued support.They are very much appreciated. Yes,like "Rain on Dry Land" and like "Oasis in Desert Sand".
    XoXo, Cool Lassi(e)