Today's dishes are simple curry that can do double duty as an excellent side for Roti or an excellent topper for steamed rice. Nothing but simplicity itself!One recipe works for both!
- Grated Coconut - 1/2 cup
- Split Pigeon-peas(Tuvar Dhal) - 1/2 cup, cooked with little turmeric powder (optional)
- Onion - 1, medium, diced
- Cumin seeds - 1 tsp
- Curry Leaves - 2 stalks,chopped
- Dry red chilli - 3
- Garlic - 2 cloves, fine diced
- Split Black Gram(Urad Dhal) - 1/2 tsp
- Mustard Seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Choice of green(Spinach) or Vegetable(Broad Beans) - Cleaned and finely chopped
- Olive Oil - 2 tbsp
- In a saute pan, heat the oil, saute the urad dhal and mustard seeds. When the mustard seeds start spluttering, add the garlic cloves, onions, cumin and red chilli.
- Saute until the onions are translucent.Add salt and curry leaves.Stir.
- Add the choice of green or vegetable. If it is Spinach, cook for 4 minutes. If using Broad beans,cook with lid for 10-15 minutes.
- Check for taste and switch off stove.
- Add the cooked pigeon peas(if using) and grated coconut.The Spinach curry in the picture has both coconut and peas. The Broad beans curry just has coconut. Either way it tastes good!