All, I am back with Badam Kheer. So many postings to go through, plenty of awards to claim in 2 weeks absence. I am grateful for all the comments and well-wishing emails from fellow bloggers and buddies.The eye surgery went well. I can see clearly(hmm, almost) without glasses for the first time in two decades. Thats really something. Isn't it? Reading fine prints is a challenge but doctors have asked me to be patient. Now, that is a virtue that is hard to come by. While I wait "patiently" for my cornea to fully recover, I would like to virtually share this recipe for a super simple and yummy drink that I make frequently at home. Try it, you'll like it.
- Almonds - 1 cup, blanched
- Skimmed Milk - 5 cups
- Sugar - 2/3 cup or more
- Yellow Food Coloring/Saffron strands - a pinch, Optional
- Slivered Almonds - for Garnish
- Cardamom Powder - a pinch
- Make a fine paste with the blanched almonds and a cup of milk in a blender.
- Cook the Almond paste in a thick bottomed stock pot for about 5 minutes or so.
- Dilute/soak food coloring/saffron in a bit of milk and keep aside.
- Add the sugar and continue to stir. The paste will loosen and re-thicken.
- Add the remaining milk, cardamom powder and cook on a low flame for about 10 minutes.
- Pour in the food coloring/saffron milk and switch off the stove.
- Garnish with Slivered Almonds.