Saturday, August 25, 2012

Coconut-Walnut Chutney

Print  Friendly and PDF
For this week's recipes I am going to borrow recipes from Tamalapaku  for the theme "Cook from fellow BM-ers". It was difficult to narrow down to just one was a tough task.

For today, I wanted to start off with a chutney recipe perfect for Idli, Dosa, Pongal, Upma or almost any Indian breakfast items. The base recipe is Tamalapaku's Walnut Chutney that kind of evolved into this recipe. I have seen my friends totally give up on coconut and simply substitute walnut paste instead. I am/was surprised to see that I couldn't tell much difference and I finally made the transition too... Well, I am half way there but I like when I am at- I can't completely give up on coconut which is why you see that I have thrown some grated coconut balls into the mix. :). Oh yes, it all can be done in under 30 minutes.

  • 1/2 Cup Walnuts
  • 4 Tbsp Fresh/Frozen Grated Coconut (2 grated coconut balls)
  • 2 Hot Green Chili
  • 2 Dry Red Chili
  • 1 Stalk Curry Leaf
  • 2 Tbsp Red Lentil/Masoor Dhal
  • 1 Large or 2 Small Cloves Garlic, roughly cut
  • Marble-sized Tamarind
  • 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
  • Salt as needed
For Seasoning:
  • 1 Tsp Split Hulled Black Gram "Urad dhal"
  • 1/2 Tsp Mustard Seeds
  • 1 Stalk Curry Leaf
  • A pinch of Asafoetida/Hing ( I used L.G brand)
  • Gather all the ingredients needed. 
  • In a tbsp of Olive Oil, lightly brown the red lentils. A minute later add the roughly cut garlic cloves, both the chilies and a stalk of curry leaf.
  • Add the walnuts and saute them for a minute of so. Switch off the stove and add the coconut and tamarind. Mix and let it cool. Move the cooled mixture into a blender jar and add a little salt. Grind it to a thick (slightly gritty or smooth, its all personal preference) paste.
  • Season the chutney with the seasoning ingredients.
  • Pour over the chutney. Enjoy with Idli, Dosa etc.

Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM# 19
Blog Widget by LinkWithin


  1. Healthy with walnut

  2. this is indeed an awesome mix...first for the walnuts and next for the masoor dal in tadka...want to try this soon

  3. This looks amazing! I am so hungry for coconut lately! What a beautiful photo too!

  4. Very interesting twist to the recipe


  5. Such a healthy and yummy chutney,love it.

  6. Ok, masoor dal tadka is a first for me... as also walnut chutney. Chalo, ab isey try karna hi padega! :)

  7. seriously...hats off to you for doing the marathon in spite of working all week and managing a toddler and a house. i wish i had some of your energy :) on another note...walnut chutney?? i have never thought of using that

  8. Good combo...

  9. looks so delicious...will have to try this one!!!

  10. Interesting chutney with walnuts.. Sounds healthy & delicious.

  11. Very nice CL..loks so good..though I have never tried with walnut myself..


Thanks a bunch for your valuable comments and continued support.They are very much appreciated. Yes,like "Rain on Dry Land" and like "Oasis in Desert Sand".
XoXo, Cool Lassi(e)