Pages

Saturday, May 26, 2012

Indian Spiced Sweet Tea "Masala Chai"

Print  Friendly and PDF
When MIL came for a visit, she got me 2 packets of "Assam Black Tea powder/granules" and she says they make the best spiced sweet tea.It did and we all enjoyed sipping our evening tea until we exhausted it. She also gave me 2 large packets of Ooty Green Tea that I take to work.
Now that I have run out of my assam black tea powder, I picked up Brooke Bond 3 Roses "Mind Sharp" from Indian stores.It makes decent Chai.I like my tea spiced and sweet but without going overboard with the spices.Its because a multitude of spices leave a bad after-taste in one's mouth, atleast that is how I feel. So this is my minimalist approach of making masala chai.Come sip with me.

Ingredients(For 2 Medium Servings):
  • 1-1/2 Tbsp Black Tea Powder, Preferrably Black Assam Tea Powder
  • 2 Cups Whole Milk
  • 1/2 Cup Water
  • 1 to 1-1/2 Tbsp Granulated Sugar
  • 1/2" Fresh "Mature Ginger" with skin , Young Ginger makes a disastrous Tea
  • 4 Cardamom Pods
  • 1 Small Clove
Procedure:
  • Pour milk and water in a sauce pan. To it add the black tea powder.
  • Pound the ginger and cardamom pods in a mortar and pestle. DO NOT smash the clove. Leave it intact.
  • Add the minced ginger-cardamom mixture and the WHOLE clove to the sauce pan. Finally add the sugar and stir to incorporate. Sugar may be added at a later stage according to preference. (Since me and DH like the same level of sweetness we add the sugar before bringing the tea to a boil)
  • Place the sauce pan on the stove and bring the mixture to a boil on a medium flame. Let the mixture simmer for 2-3 minutes AFTER the mixture nearly bubbles over.
  • Filter the tea to remove the tea powder, minced ginger-cardamon and the clove. Now use the sauce pan and another pan with handle to "pull the tea" twice or thrice and make it frothy. 
  • Tea is ready to be served.

Spicy Crunchy Accompaniments for Sweet Tea:
 

Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM#16
Blog Widget by LinkWithin

14 comments:

  1. Hubby loves tea. So sometimes will make him this chai..

    ReplyDelete
  2. you explained the process perfectly detailed..well done & the vadai look yummy too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks very refreshing..and your starters are even more tempting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ohhhhhhhhhhhh i want that spic tea with all that fried good i see in this post. You are making me drool in a hot summer day for fried food and chai.

    ReplyDelete
  5. be it sun or rain, i love my tea with all these spices...and will remember your tip on mature ginger

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wish to enjoy that masala chai rite now, those snacks looks super irresistible.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i too make milk tea with these spices!!!! The combo's u have presented are so damn tempting!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. i never tried adding a clove. will try this soon..nice clicks.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love this refreshing n flavorful tea...your starters looks so appetizing !!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am not a tea drinker..but its aroma is driving me towards u r den..n those yummy fritters wow..just feel like nibbling:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your chai made me refresh and OMG that pakodis and bajjis wow mouthwatering just perfect with chai.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I read your post and I really appreciate your experience. I will get good knowledge from there as well. Keep posting…
    Tea Masala | Spices & herbs

    ReplyDelete

Thanks a bunch for your valuable comments and continued support.They are very much appreciated. Yes,like "Rain on Dry Land" and like "Oasis in Desert Sand".
XoXo, Cool Lassi(e)