Pages

Wednesday, June 2, 2010

GastronomicGallivant: SouthIndian Sundal With Lemon Juice, Zest and a Hint of Mint

Print  Friendly and PDF

Lentils/Legumes is one of the most important staple food in India. They are rich in protein, plenty of fiber,almost no fat and excellent protein alternative for vegetarians/vegans. To top it is inexpensive, very tasty and certainly not at all wimpish.My favorite way to eat any legumes or lentil is in the form of a Sundal. Sundal, not SundIal, is a seasoned South-Indian dry curry made with boiled/pressure-cooked legumes/lentils as a star ingredient.There are gazillion ways to make it. I have some dozen favorite versions to make them.. my favorite version#1 being the Marina beach style sundal and then this and ten more.:)
In South-India, Sundal is usually served at the beach or on auspicious occasions, like Navrathiri or at temples in bio-degradable cups.Yum!
For this post, I have 2 different sundals made with chickpea and field beans. Enjoy!
Pressure cooker comes in handy(not mandatory) to make this sundal dish. Every Indian Kitchen has one. It makes cooking certain foods a breeze. I got this little beauty the last time I went to India. Isn't it cute?While an ordinary pan will take some 2-3 hrs to cook the pre-soaked legumes, a pressure pan takes 10 minutes tops. Excellent way to save Gas/electricity, no? I don't wish to brag, but I have 2 more beauties in different sizes. I don't know what I would do without it. Rice, pulses, Lamb, Chicken and many more get cooked fastest in a pressure pan.
Macy's has some excellent choices of Pressure cooker.I am going to get myself the FaGor "Elite" Pressure Pan next time.Pressure Pans rule! An excellent way to "go green" as they are a very efficient way to cook. Always read the instructions Carefully before operating. It takes some time to get over the fear and get a handle on how to cook with one. But after that, its a walk in the park. :) Now on to the recipe, which is a lot similar to the other version I posted many moons ago..

This goes as a late entry to Susan's event, "My Legume Love Affair".
 
Ingredients:
  • Chickpea - 1 cup, soaked overnight or Fresh Tender Field beans(No soaking needed)
  • Red/Yellow Onion - 1,small, finely diced
  • De-hulled Split Black Gram - 1 tsp
  • Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
  • Green Chillies or Dry red Chillies - 1 or 2
  • Curry leaves - A sprig 
  • Cilantro - 2 tbsp, finely chopped
  • Mint - 1 tbsp, finely chopped
  • Lemon Juice - Juice of 1/2 lemon
  • Lemon Zest - 1 tsp, for Garnish
  • Grated Coconut - 1 tbsp, optional 
  • Cumin Seeds - 1 tsp, optional 
  • Oil - 1 tbsp
  • Salt to taste
Procedure:
  • Pressure cook the Chickpea until it is tender.If using Fresh tender Field Beans, no need to pressure cook. Just boiling it for 10 minutes should do the trick.
  • In a pan, heat the oil and season with mustard. When it start spluttering, add the chopped onions, green chili(if using) and saute for 2-3mins.
  • Add the cooked, drained chickpea, curry leaves and mint. Toss gently to combine.
  • Follow up with salt, and toss for a minutes and switch off. 
  • Add the lemon juice and garnish with grated coconut,lemon zest,cilantro just be serving.
Makes ~ 3 Servings.

Enjoy!
Blog Widget by LinkWithin

57 comments:

  1. Looks great! Interesting that they are served/sold in beaches.. I want to experience this some time. Sundal at the beach. Cool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice and healthy sundal.Can't imagine Indian cooking without a pressure cooker.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thx for simply explaining that a sundal is a dry curry. I've seen many sundal recipes but am still a little confused how they differ from chaats. I am not, however, confused about wanting to eat this great dish.

    Thanks for your MLLA recipe, CL. And for joining the loud chorus of bloggers who urge me to get a pressure cooker for my beans. ; )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks yummy lassie..

    Love
    Kairali sisters

    ReplyDelete
  5. the marina beach brought back fond memories...and i am spot on with u regarding the pressure cooker:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sundal is too yummy!!! Wish to have some during my movie time! hehee :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. superb...s..s...used to get in beaches...recalling memories...nice...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely sundals dear and I looooooooooooove that cute little pressure pan :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love lentils but have never tried to cook them in the pressure cooker...I'm so scared of that thing! Thanks for these recipes, they look so delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  10. healthy n delicious looking sundal...nice pics..thanks for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Lasie

    Sundal Looks to be very healthy as well as yummy. Thanks for sharing this unique dry curry recipe.

    deepa
    Hamaree Rasoi

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely sundal CL..superb ba irukku..Marina-la kathu vangittey sundal sapdara sugamey thani than..

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love legumes too. This looks like a great recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  14. healthy and so easy to make!yumm..love the addition of zest. Yup, pressure cooker is a green way to cook...so efficient!

    ReplyDelete
  15. the addition of the ingredients makes the sundal really delicious.and the beach style sundal ounds interesting..anyway its a really healthy one.Indian bought pressure cooker is really cute..
    In jcpenny philippe richards is a good one

    ReplyDelete
  16. yummy...evening snack...very tempting pics dear.

    ReplyDelete
  17. looks perfect... very healthy recipe... We usually make it as a tea time snack...

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love sundals... Looks very delicious. Can't imagine cooking without pressure cooker.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hey tats such a good and quick hunger fix...liked ur ingredients.
    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanxx a ton for the links on giveaways, am off to check the other ones now!!
    I have never had a sundal but i sure know i will love it , way way muc!!!
    love ur pretty pics too!!
    Super wonderful day to u!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hey You are reminding me of the olden days....really very nice healthy one....i miss those tastes now....seein g ur dish making me to prepare rgt away....nice tempting and mouth watering sundal...

    ReplyDelete
  22. Sundal Looks just delisious....dear....i love this..healthy one tooo.....now with out a pressure cooker we can think about cooking some fud...

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh my, i like this so much. very well made. i am drooling here.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I can have these sort of nutritious sundal daily, my favourite of having these legumes..

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love those legumes tempered prep..... My favorite... We call it upkari & both of them are my favorites... The second if I am not wrong must be avarekaalu, right? Loved this tempting prep.....

    Ash...
    (http://asha-oceanichope.blogspot.com/)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Great healthy and delicious recipe! Thanks for the info on the pressure cookers. I have always wanted to get one.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Looks delicious! It would be a great tea-time Snack!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Me encantan las legumbres y, de esta forma no las he probado. Lo anoto para hacerlas.
    besotes.

    ReplyDelete
  29. pressure cooker rocks...love legumes.......dish looks so tempting and yummmmmmmmmmmy

    ReplyDelete
  30. Pressure pan!!! I want that toy too! And your chickpea dish...olala...simply gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I never knew that macy's has this kind of pressure cooker. I am gonna shop for those. Love those sundals. feels like making some now.
    Do check our Sizzling Summer Contest in ST and we would love to see your entry. you could win one of two $50 prizes.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Enjoy the pressure cooker/pan. I makes life simple esp when you want to cook beans.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Nice and healthy sundal by adding mint it gives different flavour.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Easy & tasty sundal recipe....& me too can't imagine life without cooker.....though my daughter call me also a cooker, she says because u cook so u r a cooker...lol...

    ReplyDelete
  35. Great recipe...I have never used a pressure cooker...I'm going to go buy one...I have an old family stew recipe that uses one...Thanks for recommending one.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Awesome pepntn..Nice way to enjoy this in beach..

    ReplyDelete
  37. Yum sundals.That PC looks dazzling good,I can't imagine my dals(and meat too) cook without them :D

    ReplyDelete
  38. An excellent recipe! Wonderful flavors going on here!

    ReplyDelete
  39. lovely dish and photos.
    Wishing you a great weekend ♥

    ReplyDelete
  40. lovely sundal!!, I love them!!, good clicks

    ReplyDelete
  41. wow wat a vegetarian dish.. excellent... Hi,

    I am Bhavani Raman, founder of www.chennaimoms.com, a website for mothers. We have 50,000 members in our website with 3.5 lakh page views/month and are fast growing. We have been covered by National media like Sun TV/Hindu/Times of India/Deccan Chronicle.

    We are looking forward to associate with bloggers with women audience, where we could promote your blog to our members. In return you could spread the word about our site to your friends and followers.If interested we could talk further on how to cross promote each other.

    Or if you are looking for monetary benefits instead of cross promotion, please send us the rate, your followers details and the banner size.

    Please email me at bhavanikr@chennaimoms.com.

    Thanks,
    Bhavani Raman.
    Founder - www.chennaimoms.com
    Email - bhavanikr@chennaimoms.com

    ReplyDelete
  42. Hi,
    You have a lovely blog, I am from andhra who cooks tomato dal almost everyday.Recently I got this prestige handi 2 litre steel pressure cooker (just like urs). I have never used a steel cooker before(used aluminium).Can you please tell me how to pressure cook toor dal in this one, without the dal getting burnt or undercooked?? I would appreciate your tips very much.
    Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  43. Hi,
    You a lovely blog.I am from andhra who cooks toor dal everyday.Recently I bought a prestige baby handi 2 litre steel pressure cooker(just like urs).I have never used a steel cooker before(used aluminium), can you please specify how to cook toor dal in a steel cooker without the dal getting burnt or undercooked? You tips would be of great help.
    Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  44. @Joseph And Praveena Reddy: Hi Guys, you made the right move by purchasing the handi cooker.

    If you are making Tuvar dhal for sambhar, always add 3-4 cups for 1 cup of tuvar dhal. Since you are going to make it mushy for sambhar anyway. That way it doesn't get burnt.

    If you need it for any dry side-dish, add 1 tuvar: 2 dhal along with a few drops of oil so the don't get clingy and mushy and cook a little less time than you would when you make them in the aluminum pan or when using containers inside the pan.

    FYI, i always use a bigger pressure cooker and use the containers that come with it to make Tuvar dhal along with rice. :)

    ReplyDelete
  45. Thanks for ur advice Lassie.I use a small electric rice cooker for cooking rice, at times I use a large steel pressure cooker and a steel vessel to cook rice in it.But it turns a bit mushy.Can you please explain how much water can I use for 1 cup of sona masoori rice and for long do I cook (how many whistles)?
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  46. @Joseph and Praveena Reddy: Sorry the late response. I have been away from blog for a bit...

    To cook Sona Masuri Rice, for 1 cup rice add anywhere from 2.5cups to 3cups water. Leave 2 whistles and remove from stove. Open the lid after 10 minutes or so. This should work..The right ratio is something you will have to gauge cause it also depends on how "aged" the rice is. Happy Pressure cooking!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks a bunch for your valuable comments and continued support.They are very much appreciated. Yes,like "Rain on Dry Land" and like "Oasis in Desert Sand".
XoXo, Cool Lassi(e)