"Sundal" is a dish made out of any legume that has been boiled and seasoned with typical Indian seasoning. For this recipe I used Chickpea(Garbanzo beans). Chickpea is a legume known for its high protein content, 25.3-28.9 %, after dehulling. It can be consumed boiled, fried or deep-fried. Here is a healthy and super easy recipe that is sure to seduce anybody's taste buds.This recipe is inspired by Marina Beach Sundal. Even though it isn't exactly done the same way, the taste is almost similar to the "Thenga Manga Pattani Sundal" they sell at the beach.
- Chickpea - 1/2 cup, soaked overnight
- Shallot - 1, finely diced
- Carrot - 1 (half grated and half julienned)
- Raw Mango - 1/2 , finely diced
- Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
- Green Chillies - 1 or 2, vertically slit (OR) Cracked Pepper - 1/2 tsp or more
- Curry leaves - A sprig (Optional)
- Coriander leaves - a handful, finely chopped for Garnish
- Lemon Zest - 1 tsp, for Garnish
- Grated Coconut - 1 tbsp, optional
- Oil - 1 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Pressure cook the Chickpea until it is tender.
- In a pan, heat the oil and season with mustard. Add the shallot, green chilli(if using) and saute for 2-3mins.
- Add the cooked, drained chickpea, curry leaves(if using), cracked pepper,grated carrots and raw mangoes.
- Follow up with salt, simmer for a few minutes and switch off.
- Garnish with julienned carrots,coriander, grated coconut,lemon zest to make this simple dish an elegant one.