Ever since I saw the movie Eastern Promises, I have been making Borscht(Soup) frequently. I have to say that Beet is not my most favorite vegetable.I like it, don't love it but I eat it anyway for all the health benefits it brings.I prefer the pureed version better than the chunkier version.
- Beet - 1, large, peeled and diced
- Potato - 1, medium, cleaned and diced (I used Purple potato)
- Carrot - 1, medium, peeled and sliced
- Red Onion - 1, small, halved and then quartered
- Red Cabbage - 1/2 cup, shredded
- Bay Leaf - 1
- Vegetable Stock - 3 cups (Water may be used as well)
- Garlic pods - 2 medium
- Red Wine vinegar - 1 tbsp
- Olive Oil - 1 tbsp
- Sour Cream - For Garnish
- Salt and Cracked Pepper - for taste
- In a stock pot, add the vegetable stock/water, bay leaf, garlic pods, onions, diced potatoes, beets,sliced carrots and shredded cabbage.
- Bring it to roiling boil with closed lid until the vegetables are tender for about 20 minutes.
- Sprinkle salt and pepper.
- Discard the bay leaf and puree with an immersion blender.
- Add the vinegar.Enjoy it warm or cold.
- Garnish with Sour Cream before serving.