I borrowed this recipe from Mom and slightly modified it. Made this for potluck at hubby's workplace.
Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM#17.
- 4 to 4-1/2 Cups Shredded Beet
- 1 Cup Skimmed Milk
- 1/2 Cup Evaporated Milk (Mom uses sweetened condensed Milk)
- 1/2 to 3/4 Cup + 1 Tsp Granulated Sugar
- 5 Green Cardamom Pods
- 1/4 Cup + 1 Tbsp Ghee/Clarified Butter
- 1/3 Cup "Halved" Cashews
- 1/8 Cup Golden Raisins
- In a thick bottomed pan, bring the skimmed milk and evaporated milk to a bubbling boil.
- Add the grated beet and mix it in. Pressure cook for 2 whistles/ 10 minutes.
- The shredded beet would be fully cooked with plenty of liquid in the pot, depending on how long it took for those 2 whistles.
- Smash the cardamom pods in a mortar and pestle and discard the seeds. Add a tsp of sugar to it and make a fine powder. Add the sugar and sugar+cardamom powder to the pan and stir.
- In a non-stick skillet, add a tbsp of Ghee and fry the halved cashews and raisins. Remove from heat. Reserve 25 halves of cashew and break the remaining ones.
- When the liquid has almost evaporated from the pan, add the Ghee and the broken cashews and raisins. Stir until the mixture is sticky and start leaving the sides of the pan. It takes nearly an hour from start to this point.
- Once warm, transfer to a pan. It can be served warm or cold.
- Using a small ice-cream scoop divide the mixture into ~25 even portions. Garnish with the reserved fried cashews. And savor.