Pages

Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Eggless "Yeast Raised" Pancakes With Plum-Strawberry Compote

Print  Friendly and PDF
Day2: If there is one ingredient that makes me uneasy,its got to be yeast. I have no idea why. Just that I am always petrified working with it. So don't expect fancy bread posts from me. I am still taking baby steps towards getting comfortable with Yeast recipes. Over the weekend I decided to make pancakes for my family -  Nothing new there but this time though, I made it with yeast. Hee Haw! Base recipe is from here. It is actually waffle batter which works great for pancakes too. Umm, so good.

#2 in my Lust List: Alexander McQueen "Skull" Scarf, in every possible color(Now that is greed and its twin sister Materialism!) (US$ 295, each)
Fashion critics say this scarf will never go out of fashion. So I will definitely get this in at-least 2 different colors even if hubby doesn't get it for me. Skull prints look totally wicked.

Now onto the recipe-
Ingredients(Makes 12-14 Pancakes):
  • 1-1/4 Tsp Active dry yeast
  • 1-1/2 Cups Warm Water 
  • 1 Cup Unbleached All-Purpose Flour 
  • 1 Cup Atta Flour (Flour Milled from Semi-hard Wheat/Durum Wheat)
  • 1 Tsp Salt
  • 1/4 Cup Light Brown Sugar, packed 
  • 1/3 Cup Canola Oil 
  • 1/4 Cup Pure Maple Syrup 
  • 1/4 Cup Skimmed Milk 
  • 1 Tsp Vanilla Extract 
  • 3/4 Tsp Baking Powder 
  • 1/2 Tsp Baking Soda
For Plum-Strawberry Compote:
  • 2 Cups Strawberries,roughly chopped 
  • 1 Cup Plums, roughly chopped 
  • 2 Tbsp Water 
  • 4 Tbsp Maple Syrup (or) Honey
Procedure:
  • In a non-metal pan, add the warm water(Test the warm on the inside of your wrist. It should feel warm but not burn the skin). Add the yeast and let this mixture sit in a warm spot for 10-15 minutes. 
  • Add both the flour and the salt to the yeast mixture.
  • Let the mixtures it in a warm spot overnight. I just stick it in the oven. 
  • The mixture is frothy and almost doubled in the morning.
  • Add the sugar, milk, oil and vanilla extract in a separate bowl and whisk it well. Mix this wet mixture with the batter.
  • Stir the batter so it is lump free. Let it rest for 10-15 minutes.
  • Meanwhile, make the compote. Chopped the fruits and add it to the processor.
  • Pulse it a few times. Do not puree it.
  • Transfer to a pan and cook it along with 2 tbsp water and 4 Tbsp maple syrup/honey for about 10-15 minutes.
  • Switch off the stove and let it cool down to room temperature.

  • Make the pancakes: Pour a ladle-ful of batter into the center of a non-stick pan and let it cook for a minute to a minute-and-a-half. Flip with a spatula and cook the other side likewise.


  • Stack the pancakes and serve warm with Plum-Strawberry compote and whipped cream.


As you can see, I am totally digging into my pancakes-

Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM#15
Blog Widget by LinkWithin

21 comments:

  1. totally delicious :)

    And keep ur wish list coming ! I am sure you would hit bulls eye one day :):)


    Kalyani
    Sizzling Tastebuds
    Event : Pickles & Preserves Fest + Giveaway
    Event : CWS - Oats

    ReplyDelete
  2. You forgot the BM tag :).

    Btw the pancakes look good and I loved the polka dot rubber spatula!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a good one..and I love scarf too..sad I dont' get them..

    ReplyDelete
  4. yeast happens to be very capricious, that is why it is always hard to foresee what happens at the end!:)
    Life and travelling
    Cooking

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pancakes looks super spongy and definitely filling,personally i dont like skull prints..

    ReplyDelete
  6. SUPER!!..i JUST FEEL LIKE PICKING THE FORK AND DIGGING INTO THE WHOLE THING..MY MY...ABSOLUETLY AWSUM!!(mark it..all is in caps)love the cream swirl....

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved the compote. Of course, my kids wouldn't eat it if I made it. That scarf is 295 dollars? What is it even made of? Thank god I am not into those things.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pancakes looks so soft and spongy...yum..yum..wish I could have some...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Pancakes and the compote looks absolutely delicious...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds interesting. Never attempted yeast pancakes.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the color of the compote...and the pancakes are very soft. Would love it for breakfast if handed it to me in silver spoon. Nice to see your wish list along with post...hope it reaches the person intended.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the egg less version of pancake and the compote is yum too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Pancakes are always welcome in my family. Yeasted pancakes are more then welcome since I bought a life long supply of yeast from BJ's. Will be trying these out pretty soon.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Pancakes look delicious. $295 scarf .. wow .. it will remain forever in the list for me :).

    Vardhini
    CooksJoy

    ReplyDelete
  15. It looks so delicious, I have never made yeasted pancakes, I have made stawberry compote though, lovely clicks CL as well dear

    ReplyDelete
  16. Same pinch CL ;)Yeast really scares me.The pancakes looks delicious and the scarf is truly wicked ;)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yeast, yeeesh!!!! i too have that fear, Plum-strawberry compote with whipping cream makes me hungry!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks a bunch for your valuable comments and continued support.They are very much appreciated. Yes,like "Rain on Dry Land" and like "Oasis in Desert Sand".
XoXo, Cool Lassi(e)