Pages

Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Spiced Vegan Pumpkin And Cocoa Muffins

Print  Friendly and PDF
Day1 of BM#10: Has it really been 3 weeks since my last post? Time does fly. Between work and family I am finding it hard to squeeze time for blogging. But I scraped some free time to cook and click for this edition of BM and my theme is going to be "Winter Specials". For me winter is all about spiced bakes, spicy curries and heartwarming foods in general..
What do you find the most difficult thing to do in Winter? For me its slipping out of bed in the morning while its still dark outside and the sun refuses to shine! Seriously, who wants to get up from under that cozy cocoon created by that oh-so-soft-egyptian-cotton-sheet-topped-with-down-filled-duvet,walk the frigid marble floor in the bathroom and do your morning duties? **Shudder**  Well, the clock won't stand still for me just because I am feeling that way every damn day of Winter.Whether I like it or not I need to get up and go about my business cause I ain't no princess and I wasn't born with a silver spoon.Grey and Gloomy mornings such as these need something to look forward to - in the form of Spiced Pumpkin and Cocoa Muffins. **Yum** This with a hot cup of tea is pure bliss! After that I am looking forward to the rest of my morning. :)

A few days ago, I bought a few wedges of Orange pumpkins and thought of making my own Pumpkin Puree. It came in handy when I wanted to make these Pumpkin-Chocolate muffins.Don't you love the color? One evening when I was googling for recipes, this muffin recipe caught my eye that prompted me to make my own batch. I wanted to make a large batch but I have at home only  8 and 6- cup muffin pans. So had to adjust the base recipe's ingredient proportions to yield 14 muffins.

Before I go ahead and give the recipe, I thought I will share (one-a-day) funny ways to "Maintain a healthy level of Insanity" that my co-worker L sent over to me.It cracked me up --"At Lunch Time, Sit In Your Parked Car With Sunglasses on and Point A Hair  Dryer At Passing Cars. See If They Slow Down".

Ingredients( For 6 + 8 Muffins):
  • 1-1/2 Cups Pumpkin Puree
  • 1/2 Cup Store-bought or Home-made Apple Sauce
  • 1-1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract
  • 2-1/2 Cups Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
  • 1/2 Cup Cocoa Powder
  • 1-1/2 Cups Granulated Sugar
  • 1-1/2 tsp Baking Powder
  • 3/4 tsp Baking Soda
  • 1/4 tsp Salt
  • 1-1/4 tsp Pumpkin Pie spice
  • 1-1/2 Cup Mini Chocolate Chips
  • 1/4 Cup Olive Oil
Tool:
  • 8-Cup Muffin Pan
  • 6-Cup Muffin Pan
Procedure:
 To Make the Pumpkin Puree: 
  • Peel the pumpkin and dice them up. Steam or pressure cook (with very less water). If pressure cooking, it will generate lots of water.Drain the water and cool the chunks.
  • Puree in the blender until smooth. Freeze the unused portion.
  • Make the Muffins:Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Sift the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and baking soda.Add Salt and mix well.
  • In a bowl add the sugar, apple sauce, pumpkin puree, pumpkin pie spice and mix well.
  • Add the flour in batches.
  • Alternate the flour and oil.Mix only till combined.
  • Add the mini chocolate chips and stir with a silicone spatula.
  • Grease the muffin wells with little bit of Olive Oil. Spoon the batter evenly into the wells of the muffin cup.
  • Bake for 22-25 minutes or until the tooth-pick inserted into the center comes clean.
  • Have at it with a hot cup of Coffee or Tea.

Makes 6 + 8 Scrumptious Muffins.

For this week's  "Black and White Wednesday"@Susan's "The Well-Seasoned Cook"- Reminiscing Summer

Enjoy!
Blog Widget by LinkWithin

23 comments:

  1. oh yum!!!! Winter Mornings, Dont talk about it!! Eagerly awaiting weekends, to get that extra extra Snooze!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. nice to have u arnd after a long time. yes winter is all about spices and spicy food and warm cocoa for me as well. Its strangely not that cold this side of the world as yet, i guess it will just come in with a bang beg of dec.
    Hope u are enjoying work..

    ReplyDelete
  3. These muffins look really yummy...Love the use of pumpkin puree

    ReplyDelete
  4. awesome! I shall have to try out these muffins to satisfy my craving :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. awesome muffins dear...Really yummy one for this winter

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, wonderful clicks, yummy pumpkin and apple sause muffins. do we get unbleached all purpose flour in chennai. awesome click , perfect for the contest.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Muffins lookg super prefect,quite addictive and tempting,lovely texture..

    ReplyDelete
  8. The muffins look lovely. Great step by step pictures too! Keep it up :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome CL..though we don't exactly know how a winter must be..I can imagine that..lovely pumpkin colours!

    ReplyDelete
  10. you bet! we do need something so warm and nice to beat these chilly days! Happy Thanksgiving to you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Perfect textured muffins. My daughter who is sitting next to me is asking whether we can try these. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Omg, super delicious irresistible yummy muffin..

    ReplyDelete
  13. superb looking CL ! bookmarked :-) and am looking forward to the entrire BM spread from you this week !


    Kalyani
    200th Post & Giveaway
    R u Ready to join the Magic Mingle?

    ReplyDelete
  14. very delicious muffins..just made a batch of choc muffins..

    ReplyDelete
  15. Getting out of bed on winter mornings is the worst way to start a day but with these muffins and a piping hot cup of coffee,it would be the best way to start the day :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. The heater in our apartment is always on, so no difference actually. But I do hate waking up when its still so dark outside.
    Love the chocolaty and healthy muffins, they look so moist!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks a bunch for your valuable comments and continued support.They are very much appreciated. Yes,like "Rain on Dry Land" and like "Oasis in Desert Sand".
XoXo, Cool Lassi(e)