Pages

Saturday, July 23, 2011

Banana Nut "Jumbo" (Heart-Shaped) Muffins

Print  Friendly and PDF
For BM7, I have chosen the theme "Cooking From Books". Like any other food blogger I am a cook-book hoarder. I have 100+ books that I have collected over a decade. Whenever I am upset I flip the pages of a cookbook. They are an instant moodlifter. How about you? ?
Coming to this recipe - Recipe adapted from "Gifts from the Kitchen(ISBN: 978-1-4075-7901-6)". When I used to work in NYC, I always used to grab big fat muffins from Guy and Gallard, Starbucks and other small cafes. I always felt they are more like my kinda muffins because of their size- they are very filling and it kept me going until lunch without any hunger pangs.
About a month ago when I went to Costco to pickup my usual stuff, I saw a guy loading up big trays of Jumbo muffins. I thought to myself, why don't I ever make those at home. Hmm, why is that? Could it be because I don't have a Jumbo Muffin Pan. Perhaps. The next logical thought in my mind was if ramekins would do double-duty as muffin makers.??!!??? The following day, I was putting my thought into action. Some 30-minutes later, Voila`: Moist,sweet and nutty Jumbo Muffins ready to savored.

Ingredients(For 9 "Standard" Muffins or 3 "Jumbo" Muffins):
  • 1 Cup All-Purpose Flour
  • 3/4 Tsp Baking Soda
  • 1/4 Tsp Salt
  • 1/2 Tsp Vanilla Extract
  • 2 Over-ripe Bananas, roughly smashed
  • 1/3 Cup Granulated Sugar
  • 1/4 Cup Toasted Chopped Walnuts
  • 1 Egg, at room temperature
  • 1/4 Cup Butter, melted or 1/4 Cup Yogurt ( I used Butter this time)
  • 1/4 Cup Olive Oil
Tool:
  • 7 oz/0.21 liter capacity Heart-shaped Fluted Oven-safe Muffins
    Procedure:
    • Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
    • Sift Flour, baking soda and salt in another bowl.
    • Cream eggs, sugar, vanilla extract together in another wide bowl. 
    • Add the melted butter and olive oil and combine with an electric mixer.Add the roughly smashed bananas to the wet ingredients.
    • Transfer the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients.Mix only till combined.
    • Add the toasted walnuts and mix gently.
    • Divide the batter evenly among the ramekins.
    • Bake for 25 minutes at 375 degrees F. Reduce the oven temperature to 325 degrees F and bake for 5-7 minutes till the tops are browned.
    • Cool the jumbo muffins for 10 minutes before enjoying it with a dollop of butter/jely and a steaming cup of Black Coffee/Tea.
    Makes 3 "Jumbo" Muffins or 9 "standard" muffins.

    Enjoy!
    Blog Widget by LinkWithin

    33 comments:

    1. Great theme you have chosen and good that you used ramekins to a diff use!! Now we will get to see some healthier baking recipes> BTW did u feel a diff in the texture or taste by replacing butter to olive oil?

      ReplyDelete
    2. OMG!!! those ramekins look so cute!!! Muffins too look yummy!!!!

      ReplyDelete
    3. Bookmarked...got some over bananas ,will definetly try after get over ripe.

      ReplyDelete
    4. Yummy muffins. Love the addition of bananas!

      ReplyDelete
    5. Delicious looking muffins....loved the shape..

      ReplyDelete
    6. Wow! this looks absolutely delicious and soft muffin...

      ReplyDelete
    7. Wowww.. looks soo cute and perfect.. thanks for the recipe :)
      Indian Cuisine

      ReplyDelete
    8. the bigger the better when it comes to muffins this good!

      ReplyDelete
    9. Great idea to use ramekins as muffin-makers. Those jumbo muffins look awesome.

      ReplyDelete
    10. I like how you have baked them in the heart shape. Sounds delicious! Our bananas are too expensive to buy here because a lot of crops were lost in recent flooding. And I have seen so many great recipes with bananas in them lately.

      ReplyDelete
    11. heart shape ramkins are so pretty and 100+ book oh my....cook books are my bed time story books for most of the days! and muffins looks great!

      ReplyDelete
    12. Same pinch!! I read cookbooks like novels. I love to browse thro my collection often. Muffins look gorgeous. Love the texture...

      ReplyDelete
    13. Love the shape of these muffins. they have come out perfect for you.

      ReplyDelete
    14. Nice ones.I didn't know you are doing BM this time.I don't even know how many cook/baking books I have.

      ReplyDelete
    15. And yaa good theme... I use the cookbooks to cheer me up too... i wished i cooked more often from them...

      ReplyDelete
    16. wow, they are indeed jumbo and look so yummy !!!

      ReplyDelete
    17. @TasteJunction: Well because I didn't completely skip the butter I didn't see much difference. The end result was moist and fabulous! Next time though I am planning on skipping the butter all-together and use Yogurt and Olive Oil. :)

      ReplyDelete
    18. @Jane: Sorry to hear about the flooding! I hope you get your hands on some bananas soon. Bananas in bakes are fab!

      ReplyDelete
    19. @Champa: Yes, I like BM and the fun of doing it alongside like-minded folks. :)

      ReplyDelete
    20. Hi CL.. How are you ?? HEy the muffins looks gorgeous like gourmet muffins.. absolutely beautiful texture.. wish I can grab one from the screen. so so tempted.

      ReplyDelete
    21. CL, welcome to another round of BM..Cooking from cookbook is so wonderful right...I was too confused on which one to take..anyway next time for me..these muffins look awesome, wish I read this last night, I threw away some very very overly ripe bananas..:(..those hearty ones are so cute I tell you!

      ReplyDelete
    22. Looks super good.. banana muffins are my fav too..

      ReplyDelete
    23. Wow looks so good and luv those heart shaped ramkeins

      ReplyDelete
    24. I'm a big fan of these jumbo nut muffins. Loved the heart shaped ramekins.

      ReplyDelete
    25. Aww..your muffins look adorable...lovely heart shape..
      Great recipe and clicks...
      Happy Blogging
      Rujuta
      http://theworldaccordingtorujuta.blogspot.com/

      ReplyDelete

    Thanks a bunch for your valuable comments and continued support.They are very much appreciated. Yes,like "Rain on Dry Land" and like "Oasis in Desert Sand".
    XoXo, Cool Lassi(e)